Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Internet Speeds

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Quote Originally Posted by optid View Post
    If it were any slower it would take less time to send postcards in the mail with comments hand written on them.

You might have missed my comment around noon in the Hurricane Irene thread when I timed how long it took this site to fully load for me.
    Haha that's probably true and wasn't it like 9 minutes or something?? That's like dial up xD
    Josh

¡Por favor haz clic aquí por un lugar donde los miembros que saben español pueden hablar!

• Advertising

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default Re: Internet Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.justice View Post
    Haha that's probably true and wasn't it like 9 minutes or something?? That's like dial up xD
    True. I'm back to normal now.

But earlier it took me 1 hour and 3 minutes to download a 12.1 meg file from iTunes.

And BTW, have you heard from Collin since late last night?
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Quote Originally Posted by optid View Post
    True. I'm back to normal now.

But earlier it took me 1 hour and 3 minutes to download a 12.1 meg file from iTunes.

And BTW, have you heard from Collin since late last night?
    That's normal
    Josh

¡Por favor haz clic aquí por un lugar donde los miembros que saben español pueden hablar!

My Diary
    ( 1 )

I tried taking the test at my school to see what the Internet speed is, but for some reason this semester the Internet connection is horrible. It wouldn't even let me load the page. I've been having trouble loading youtube videos and such as well (it might be the city region I am in or it might be my computer, I have yet to figure that out). So instead I decided to do my readings for class and found out from an article in 2004 that South Korea has a broadband Internet connection that is 5 times faster than the U.S. That statistic may have been from a few years ago, but the Internet was first developed in the U.S. in the 1960s and they have received the better connection. Do you understand that?

Oh well, at least my computer is running faster than Optid's...well some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi03 View Post
    I tried taking the test at my school to see what the Internet speed is, but for some reason this semester the Internet connection is horrible. It wouldn't even let me load the page. I've been having trouble loading youtube videos and such as well (it might be the city region I am in or it might be my computer, I have yet to figure that out). So instead I decided to do my readings for class and found out from an article in 2004 that South Korea has a broadband Internet connection that is 5 times faster than the U.S. That statistic may have been from a few years ago, but the Internet was first developed in the U.S. in the 1960s and they have received the better connection. Do you understand that?

Oh well, at least my computer is running faster than Optid's...well some of the time.
    You're saying ours should be faster because the internet was invented here. and hah true

South Korea is still the fastest!
    Josh

(^)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi03 View Post

I thought the internet was developed at CERN in Switzerland?
    Custom Face Made By Shreyas.

Avatars in 100kbs or less. :/ Member Nyarlathotep's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Romania is fourth? Wtf? They must have built a lot of new communications infrastructure in the past few years to be in 4th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I thought the internet was developed at CERN in Switzerland?

From Wikipedia(search: Internet)
    The origins of the Internet reach back to research of the 1960s, commissioned by the United States government in collaboration with private commercial interests to build robust, fault-tolerant, and distributed computer networks. The funding of a new U.S. backbone by the National Science Foundation in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial backbones, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks. The commercialization of what was by the 1990s an international network resulted in its popularization and incorporation into virtually every aspect of modern human life. As of 2009, an estimated one-quarter of Earth's population uses the services of the Internet.
    Josh

Album
    Member Photo Albums

It was actually a British Guy (Tim Beners-Lee) who created the world wide web

also

Quote Originally Posted by Bertstare.jpg View Post
    The initial idea is credited as being Leonard Kleinrock's after he published his first paper entitled "Information Flow in Large Communication Nets" on May 31, 1961.
    In 1962 J.C.R. Licklider becomes the first Director of IPTO and gave his vision of a galactic network. In addition to the ideas from Licklider and Kleinrock, Robert Taylor helped create the idea of the network, which later became ARPANET.

Here
    Josh

Mine could be better:
    Josh

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by joshua.justice
    You're saying ours should be faster because the internet was invented here. and hah true

South Korea is still the fastest!
    I thought we would be one of the faster countries, but apparently not. I know we wouldn't be the fastest because other countries are developing faster technologically, but still #14 on that list. Kind of sad, but actually still pretty good compared to other places.

Back home and have better Internet connection...well for today, then I go back to "F" rating tomorrow.

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Bertstare.jpg View Post
    Mr. Berners-Lee indeed proposed and developed hypertext in 1989-1990.
    But the US Defense Department through various university research facilities developed ARPAnet, the earliest incarnation of the Internet in the 1960s.
    An Atlas of Cyberspaces- Historical Maps

This is a hand written record of the first ever host to host ARPAnet connection which was between UCLA and SRI (the Stanford Research Institute).

If the internet has a birthday, it's 29 October 1969.
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Album
    Member Photo Albums

Ping: 199ms
    Download Speed: 0.32 Mbps
    Upload: 0.32Mbps

(This is mobile broadband... can't get much better here)

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Finally got a speed test at my university. It's better than my grade F at my apartment, maybe I do like school after all...not that I don't like it that is.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast