My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default The GovHistory thread

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    This is the GovHistory thread

Rules :

1) Avoid talking and going into details about Banned Members
    2) No making fun of Members Past and Present
    3) No quoting anything that is made/ talked in this thread, and putting it into another

Now sit back and reminisce and talk about Gov's past. So Enjoy!!!
    Shreyas

Former Countries and Cultures Moderator

• Advertising

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default GovHistory Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD. View Post
    some of the mods are doing it atm
    Mods are actually prohibited from being invisible.

When I was a mod, the only times I went invisible was for short periods during the spamming attacks in 2006. You don't want the spammers seeing what you may be trying to do to counteract them.
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Banned

Default Re: The invisibility poll

I now that they are supposed to do it

But it is a good idea having a mod invisible when someone is spamming
    Timbits has raised another good point (he seem to be on a roll in this diary) about why a moderator would want to be invisible. Also, I would think that if a moderator is tracking someone and wants them to act naturally and not get suspicious if a moderator is in a thread, then going invisible does make sense in that context, too. I really doubt that a moderator would just go invisible just for the sake of personal convenience as that would defeat the purpose of being a resource person.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

But it is a good idea having a mod invisible when someone is spamming
    We were especially short on senior staff during summer (winter in the Southern Hemisphere) of 2006, the height of the spamming attacks. Sassy and CARNAGE were both away for months. That left Ben as the only active admin and Illuminatus as the only active gmod.
    The regular spammers that year were banned Gov people, so they knew the site well and would launch their attacks when most staff were offline. So as soon as I suspected something, I'd go invisible until the problem was sorted.
    From June through September of 2006, Sunday was an especially popular day for problems to happen.
    I do agree, Tim is on a roll too
    Cyclists always roll.

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by optid View Post
    We were especially short on senior staff during summer (winter in the Southern Hemisphere) of 2006, the height of the spamming attacks. Sassy and CARNAGE were both away for months. That left Ben as the only active admin and Illuminatus as the only active gmod.
    The regular spammers that year were banned Gov people, so they knew the site well and would launch their attacks when most staff were offline. So as soon as I suspected something, I'd go invisible until the problem was sorted.
    From June through September of 2006, Sunday was an especially popular day for problems to happen.
    I was reading some old threads last night and during that time Leo had to come back was that true? So during the spammer attacks how many admins were there (we have 5 now) was James or Lynton an Admin then?

I love talking about the history of the site

Cyclists always roll.

good one
    Everybody wants to rule the world

My Diary
    ( 1 )

I was reading some old threads last night and during that time Leo had to come back was that true?
    That was actually for a hacking attack as opposed to a spamming attack. It was in June of 2006.

Three members hacked into the Gov server. They were appointing themselves gmods and admins and changing the names of forums. Ben could not be reached.
    So Leo and Illuminatus led the fight. They encouraged mods to do things (which I'd rather not discuss here) to crash the server to deprive the invaders access to it. We did crash it and Leo then took control of it.

It was easily the most harrowing incident I witnessed at Gov.
    So during the spammer attacks how many admins were there (we have 5 now) was James or Lynton an Admin then?
    Lynton retired at the end of 2005 around the same time as Christian.
    At that time CARNAGE and Illuminatus were made gmods.

Sassy retired at the end of 2006. That's when James was promoted from gmod (which he became in October) and Lynton brought out of retirement as admins.
    So there were 5 admins (only 2 were active) for almost all of 2006. And Sassy was gone for about 2+ months that summer.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

That was actually for a hacking attack as opposed to a spamming attack. It was in June of 2006.

Three members hacked into the Gov server. They were appointing themselves gmods and admins and changing the names of forums. Ben could not be reached.
    So Leo and Illuminatus led the fight. They encouraged mods to do things (which I'd rather not discuss here) to crash the server to deprive the invaders access to it. We did crash it and Leo then took control of it.

I got them mixed up , I thought there had always been 3 gmods except when Doug left and when Rob was appointed that was really the only gap. It looks like illuminatus has been a gmod for quite a long time. So can I ask who told leo about it?

Sassy retired at the end of 2006. That's when James was promoted from gmod (which he became in October) and Lynton brought out of retirement as admins.
    So there were 5 admins (only 2 were active) for almost all of 2006. And Sassy was gone for about 2+ months that summer.
    Was Sassy an Admin from day 1?, I don't mean to sound stupid but the 2 that were active were Ben and Sassy or someone else

Default Re: Your What to do List

man i remember that crazy spam and hack summer attack of 2006. i was just a newbie p101ey back then but i do remember it and how it drove the gmods and admins crazy. It is also the reason why i took a long gap in between my posts because i thought Gov was finished but i guess not haha. So i came back like six months later only to find it wasnt and so i returned.

(Panthera Tigris)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Mods are actually prohibited from being invisible.

When I was a mod, the only times I went invisible was for short periods during the spamming attacks in 2006. You don't want the spammers seeing what you may be trying to do to counteract them.
    Could you tell me what was "Summer of Spam" ?

Cyclists always roll.

thats why some mods go suddenly offline

It sounds like an interesting event, crashing the server and then attacking. was it a battle for govteen ?
    Shreyas

Former Countries and Cultures Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Could you tell me what was "Summer of Spam" ?

thats why some mods go suddenly offline

It sounds like an interesting event, crashing the server and then attacking. was it a battle for govteen ?

basically one summer a bunch of newbie trolls thought theyd be cute and funny and spam up the forums because alot of our mods and gmods and admins were on short supply so they couldnt control it very well like they can now

yes lol

yea it pretty much was. our side one out thanfully lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Romosexual View Post
    basically one summer a bunch of newbie trolls thought theyd be cute and funny and spam up the forums because alot of our mods and gmods and admins were on short supply so they couldnt control it very well like they can now

yes lol

yea it pretty much was. our side one out thanfully lol
    Thankfully, Gov seems to have an adequete number of Administrators and moderators now, and I think that there should always be a floor that must not ever be passed when it come to having staff. It seems like vacancies are filled up pretty fast, and I have noticed very qualified people are moved up the ranks pretty quickly such as Rob, Jack (Lawl), and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by parisienne View Post
    Thankfully, Gov seems to have an adequete number of Administrators and moderators now, and I think that there should always be a floor that must not ever be passed when it come to having staff. It seems like vacancies are filled up pretty fast, and I have noticed very qualified people are moved up the ranks pretty quickly such as Rob, Jack (Lawl), and the others.
    i think the admins have learned from prior incidents to not ever have a shortage of staff so they are always looking for possible mods even when they are full in case one of the current staff members retires or leaves for other reasons.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Tim have you got anymore stories

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Tim have you got anymore stories
    Many. But few for public posting here.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

I got them mixed up , I thought there had always been 3 gmods except when Doug left and when Rob was appointed that was really the only gap. It looks like illuminatus has been a gmod for quite a long time. So can I ask who told leo about it?
    Leo is a very nice guy, my all time favorite admin. He has a cool sense of humor.
    But he doesn't like talking about Gov too much.
    He will talk more about computers and Star Trek.

CARNAGE was really only regularly active as a gmod for about six months -- the first half of 2006. After that he would only return from time to time for spurts of activity.
    Was Sassy an Admin from day 1?, I don't mean to sound stupid but the 2 that were active were Ben and Sassy or someone else
    Yes and no.

I think she started out as an admin when this version of the site began but stepped down to be a gmod for a while. I don't know the story behind that.
    For almost all of 2006, Sassy and Ben were the only regularly active admins.
    Ben became an admin in late August of 2005.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Page 1 of 109 1231151101 ... LastLast