5 35.71%
  • Rugby

9 64.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughest

mystery_man

Default Toughest

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Which one of the two would you say is the toughest?

I would personally say rugby, because the American football players wear all that padding. In rugby there is no padding.

• Advertising

(Stephen)

Default Re: Toughest

As I have repeatedly said, and I will not bother re-typing... (so I shall cut and paste from another thread.)

American Football is actually rougher than rugby. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I play both at a senior interscholastic level.

In rugby, yes, you don't wear padding. But you can only tackle a guy head-on because otherwise you are offside. As such, it's easier to brace for a hit. Also, since the tackler doesn't have on shoulder pads or a helmet, he has to tackle a certain way that hurts him a lot less. A football style tackle is useless without shoulder pads on, you'd just fall down.

In football, yes, you do wear padding. But you can tackle a guy from the side, from behind, or head-on. He may or may not know that you are coming... so you can tackle him around the waist from behind as he's running forward, and completely splash him into the ground. In football, you can hit a guy any way you like to get him down, but the best way is to drive thorugh his stomach with your chest, while you wrap around his knees. Trying to run into a guy and smash him with your chest is impossible without shoulder pads on... try it, you'll just bounce off.

In rugby, the worst injury I have ever seen is a broken leg, and he got it from a shitty pitch, it had nothing to do with the opposition. Other than that, I've seen a few guys get bruised badly, and one guy practically broke his neck (high tackle. He was fine.)

In football, the worst injury that I have personally witnessed was a broken wrist, but I know guys who have broken their legs, torn ligaments, given themselves concussion after concussion, broken numerous fingers, etc etc etc.
    "When I die, will they remember not, what I did, but what I haven't done? It's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death" - Rise Against

"Can anybody tell me, why God won't speak to me, why Jesus never called on me to part the fucking seas, why death is easier than living? You can be almost anything when you're on your fucking knees" - Against Me!

Jax

Banned

I also say american football. One the one hand I think it's very risky to play a sport like rugby without a good protection. On the other hand, american football has so many rules about the playground, the uniform even the ball plus all the plays and the things the players have to know. The have to follow exactly running routes it makes american footbal tough. And because of the qb it can be very painfull to play wide receiver. If he passes over the middle maybe also so high u have to jump to catch the ball and then u get tackled by a safety I think the makes the sport tougher than rugby.

mystery_man

I didn't mean tough as difficulty, I mean as being hard, and strong. Being physicaly demanding.

Jax

Banned

Yeah, I also mean physical and not only diffculty. Have u ever gone over the middle, jumped up to catch a ball and a strong safety has hit u from behind without u knowing him he's there? It hurts a lot and can scare the shit out of u. Or if ur a quarterback and a defensive end comes from ur blind side and puts u down with all he has. Rugby is tough, question, but because they have no pads they don't ran into the other man with full speed and all they have but in football they do. And some years ago durring a preseason game Bill Romanowski broke the jaw of Kerry Collins although Collins was wearing his helmet with facemask.

(Ryan)

American football is pretty tough, but Rugby, there are no bad, and they are tackling pretty hard
    Only Through Struggle Have I Found Rest
    With A Piece Of Me Taken Away
    I Begin To Understand
    Hollow Out This Machine Like Chest
    With It's Gears That Turn To Make Me Feel
    And Assembled Thoughts That Fade Away
    Remove From Me
    This Deception That I Called Love
    That I Called Love
    -As I Lay Dying

rugby is much more demanding because of the continuous plays u dont stop everytime sum1 is hit u use alot of energy in rugby not only the hits but the rucks the scrums the line ins the endless running its physically demanding and becuase of rugby i have pulled from all contact sports 1 more concussion and i become the human vegetable
    Formerly freeagent5 im back and im ready to goooooo...............i have msn jus pm and well work sumthin out

mystery_man

Being in a scrum in rugby is what you call pain. Your arms feel like they are being pulled out of their sockets and then several people behind you are pushing you forward causing more pain while others are pushing the other way. Not a pleasant situation.

xactly and with all the stops in football u get a mini rest like every 5mins and u sit off when yur line isnt on rugby you always runnin no brakes and yes those scrums r painful and dangerous
    Formerly freeagent5 im back and im ready to goooooo...............i have msn jus pm and well work sumthin out

erewgjnrwsgbi

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    As I have repeatedly said, and I will not bother re-typing... (so I shall cut and paste from another thread.)

American Football is actually rougher than rugby. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I play both at a senior interscholastic level.

In rugby, yes, you don't wear padding. But you can only tackle a guy head-on because otherwise you are offside. As such, it's easier to brace for a hit. Also, since the tackler doesn't have on shoulder pads or a helmet, he has to tackle a certain way that hurts him a lot less. A football style tackle is useless without shoulder pads on, you'd just fall down.

In football, yes, you do wear padding. But you can tackle a guy from the side, from behind, or head-on. He may or may not know that you are coming... so you can tackle him around the waist from behind as he's running forward, and completely splash him into the ground. In football, you can hit a guy any way you like to get him down, but the best way is to drive thorugh his stomach with your chest, while you wrap around his knees. Trying to run into a guy and smash him with your chest is impossible without shoulder pads on... try it, you'll just bounce off.

In rugby, the worst injury I have ever seen is a broken leg, and he got it from a shitty pitch, it had nothing to do with the opposition. Other than that, I've seen a few guys get bruised badly, and one guy practically broke his neck (high tackle. He was fine.)

In football, the worst injury that I have personally witnessed was a broken wrist, but I know guys who have broken their legs, torn ligaments, given themselves concussion after concussion, broken numerous fingers, etc etc etc.
    LOL.. This seriously should become a sticky so we don't have to go through this every week!

erewgjnrwsgbi

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I also say american football. One the one hand I think it's very risky to play a sport like rugby without a good protection. On the other hand, american football has so many rules about the playground, the uniform even the ball plus all the plays and the things the players have to know. The have to follow exactly running routes it makes american footbal tough. And because of the qb it can be very painfull to play wide receiver. If he passes over the middle maybe also so high u have to jump to catch the ball and then u get tackled by a safety I think the makes the sport tougher than rugby.
    How can you possibly comment about a sport you know nothing about?

Jax

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by c_eagle
    How can you possibly comment about a sport you know nothing about?
    Well I know how hard football is. I never said rugby isn't hard or tough. But the situation u get tackled or sacked from ur blind side makes me thinking football is tougher. A tackle or sack are hard enough but don't seeing it comming makes it harder so u can't prepare in your head u will get hit. I think there's no real answer which one is tougher. Everybody has arguments for why the one is tougher than the other.

erewgjnrwsgbi

Well I know how hard football is. I never said rugby isn't hard or tough. But the situation u get tackled or sacked from ur blind side makes me thinking football is tougher. A tackle or sack are hard enough but don't seeing it comming makes it harder so u can't prepare in your head u will get hit. I think there's no real answer which one is tougher. Everybody has arguments for why the one is tougher than the other.
    That doesn't change the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

Jax

Banned

If u think so...

erewgjnrwsgbi

If u think so...
    I'm certain of it. You're description of Rugby so far, in every post that you've spoken about it, is scratchy at best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast