Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Rugby Thread

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Talk about all things rugby I guess...

I play union, I'm an openside flanker and I also handle some of the kicking duties as a backup.
    -

G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D|-0-3-0-3-0-3-5-0-6-77--0-3-0-3-0-3-5-3-0-3-0-3-0-x-x-x-x-x-x---

Wash me away, clean your body of me, erase all the memories, they'll only bring us pain; and I've seen all I'll ever need...

• Advertising

erewgjnrwsgbi

Default Re: The Rugby Thread

I play Rugby League from my school team. We made the semi finals of our comp (just a quick plug ) in our first attempt this year.

I played a Union sevens tournament as fly/scrum half, very messy sport indeed.

I play Halfback or hooker in league. Halfback is similar to a fly half and scrum half is similar to hooker.

Jax

Banned

What is the difference between league and union?

Jax

Banned

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Ok, I'm beginning to hyper-ventelate....

I brought up Rugby in the discussion. Well, not, I didn't. I brought up RUGBY LEAGUE.

Rugby's world championships, as they are so aptly (and incorrectly) called, is rugby union.

Do you want me to give you a rundown of the history of the two sports?

Rugby League is different from Rugby Union. You've never seen a game of league and therefore, you shouldn't stereotype the two sports. The same way you wouldn't say that table tennis automatically sucked because Lawn Tennis was boring (in your opinion.)

Would be nice to learn more about it. I never knew there's a difference. For most Germans rugby is rugby. I just got borred because I didn't understood the rules and why they were doing what they where doing. But I can imagine it could be very interesting if u understand the game.

erewgjnrwsgbi

The basic answer is that rugby league has 13 players, rugby union has 15. Most of the laws are similar or identical, but there are bigger differences. For example, Union puts a lot of emphasis on scrums and line-outs (when the ball goes out of play). League has both but they are really incidental to the game. On the other hand a League team has 6 tackles to score a try before it goes to the opposition. The upshot is that League is a more running game, Union has more set pieces.

Union has unlimited tackles but there are alot more stoppages caused by this emphaises on set pieces.

In League, instead of the ball ending up in a maul or ruck situation after a tackle, the opposition must let go of the tackled player and the play continues with a roll of the ball under the legs, using the foot to propel the ball towards the attacking teams own try line.

There are alot less penalty goals in league because there are more oppurtunities to score tries.

In league, the fact that a team is given the ball for 6 tackles, minimises the need to kick the ball into touch. Union is a game of territory, league is a game based around keeping posession of the ball.

In League, a try is worth 4 points, a conversion or penalty goal are worth 2 and a field goal is worth a single point.

In Union, tries are 5, conversions are 2, penalties and field goals are 3.

I enjoy both sports, I just prefer union because I've played it more and supported it more. It's bigger than league in the south.
    -

G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wash me away, clean your body of me, erase all the memories, they'll only bring us pain; and I've seen all I'll ever need...

Jax

Banned

Who does it come that there this two kinds? it's almost the same like the NFL and the CFL. The CFL plays with 12 players (one more receiver than in the NFL) so the game is a lot faster in the CFL.

Yeah, I watched the CFL in Canada. Shame the players are crap.

The rift between the two goes back to the 1870s. Basically a group (mostly northerners) didn't want to be part of the RFU (rugby football union) and so they split and formed a rugby league. The two sports evolved from there. League is typically played in the north of Britain and Union in the south.
    -

Jax

Banned

Cool. it's nice to hear that when they split from the group they changed the game and created a different one. Good to see sports can be evolved to an other thing.

erewgjnrwsgbi

It's all a little bit more complicated than that. In simple terms, Citizen Erased is correct.

League has it's stronghold within the North of England and the split happened in the 1890's (1895 to be exact.)

The reason why the rules changed was because Rugby League wished to become a professional sport. Rugby Union was amateur until 1995 and prior to this date (officially anyway,) it was illegal to receive payment for playing. This became a big problem for the coal miners in the North of England, who couldn't afford to miss work because of sport related injuries but the RFU refused to allow compensation for lost wages.

After the split, the new Northern Union (Rugby League) needed to find a cash source and the only way it could do so was to create a game that could attract a paying audience. This then lead to the evolution of the game, initially line outs were scrapped, 2 players were taken off. Then the play the ball came into effect and the rest is history.

Rugby League hit Australia in the early 1900's and quickly overtook Union because of the professional appeal. Today, it's the biggest sport within 2 of Australia's states which accounts for over 10 million people, half of Australia's population.

Most years, Rugby League matches make up 4 of the top 5 most watched programs on television in Sydney.

(Stephen)

I have played two seasons in high school. We play Union in Canada. I'm a second row, but I can play flanker and 8 as well if needed. I'm also a jumper, and a pretty good one at that.
    "When I die, will they remember not, what I did, but what I haven't done? It's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death" - Rise Against

"Can anybody tell me, why God won't speak to me, why Jesus never called on me to part the fucking seas, why death is easier than living? You can be almost anything when you're on your fucking knees" - Against Me!

I'm a lifter. I have yet to topple my second row. Although I might be turned into a jumper cause I'm 6'2 and 10st.
    -

(Stephen)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Erased
    I'm a lifter. I have yet to topple my second row. Although I might be turned into a jumper cause I'm 6'2 and 10st.
    A stone is 14 pounds, yes?

I'm 6'6" and 190 pounds, but I was only 180 last season. I have lifted as well, while we were shuffling a few positions. The guys who lifted for me at the start of the season were excellent, both of them were solid and muscular... it was never a problem.
    "When I die, will they remember not, what I did, but what I haven't done? It's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death" - Rise Against

"Can anybody tell me, why God won't speak to me, why Jesus never called on me to part the fucking seas, why death is easier than living? You can be almost anything when you're on your fucking knees" - Against Me!

Flanker's great cause you can get away with so much. On defensive scrums I always bump the opposing flanker to buy my flyhalf a little more time. I haven't been penalised for obstruction yet...
    -

I dont play rugby but am a mere spectator lol. Went to Twickenham to see my school team play (and win the cup!!) and i managed to work out the rules as well (claps self!), i love the game now!! So that was just randomness lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast