Default How to Avoid Addiction?

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to avoid becoming addicted to painkillers. My neuoogist is putting me on Feroicate and Norco (I hope that's spelled right) to help treat chronic migraines. He promised me there not very strong and I don't get that many. There like an emergency last ditch effort. But I'm still really worried.
    So any advice please.
    Yes I am a Blonde....no I am not stereotypical. I devour books to ease my insatiable thirst for knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    And just so you know I love my books so much that I never sleep alone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: How to Avoid Addiction?

Not something i have much experience with, but was wondering have you discussed these concerns with your doctor?

Meet me at the

The Robotic Senior Moderator the_b0t's Avatar
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

I agree with Andrea that you should bring these concerns up with your doctor.

Really, the only way to void addiction is to not use them unless you need to in order to get through the day. I don't know what you are treating with these drugs, but if you can get away without taking the drugs most days, and only use them when the pain stops you from doing neccisary day-to-day tasks.

You can also talk to your doctor about alternitive treatments that might not help ease all of the pain but would allow you to ease the pain and go about your day to day life somewhat comfortably.
    -The_b0t_david

-[Global Moderator]-
    &
    -[Diary Manager]-

-

-

-

Custom Face By: Brad (
    )

______________Feel Free to Contact me With any Questions or Concerns _____________
    David

Officially given -2- GOLD STARS by Brayden 06/13/2015
    i cum on my sheets but they don't smell "bad"
    "Bad"

Cat of Cosmicness Banned

What they are saying. I have a similar med for migraines, but mine are acute rather than chronic. Dealing with chronic pain via meds can be tricky. Your pharmacist might also be able to supply you with information. Good luck.

תֹ֙הוּ֙ וָבֹ֔הו Member Berserker's Avatar

No one wants to get addicted. The only way to be sure you will not get addicted is, as said above, not too use addictive drugs in the first place. I have the same problem with migraines and really think that even if it's addictive, if it helps, you should take it. In my opinion Norco is really helpful for migraines, makes it feel more like how I think regular people experience headaches, so just take them when you have migraines. There's a high chance you will get addicted though, but you have to decide if it's better than having chronic migraines.
    He drove the desert, fired his rifle in the sky
    And says, "God if I have to die you will have to die"
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Originally Posted by GovBot
    I like to wear skin from dead babies.
    The skyline was beautiful on fire
    All twisted metal stretching upwards
    Everything washed in a thin orange haze
    I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful...
    These are truly the last days"
    You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    Like a daydream or a fever...
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Kwisatz Haderach Retired Administrator delerium's Avatar

Take your medication as prescribed, once you start using it for fun you hit the slippery slope. Honestly I think since your doctor is giving you a low amount you don't have much to worry about. I doubt he's giving you enough to really lead to any sort of physical dependence, and you being so wary of them in the first place is a good mentality to have.

If it's feasible perhaps you could let your parents manage your meds. Have them store them somewhere you can't access them on your own. It's annoying and you'd be kind of dependent on them being around, but that would pretty much eliminate any abuse potential if you're that worried about it.
    tell me why you are like this
    are you the same with anyone
    save me from my sickness and tell me
    why are you like this?

Originally Posted by iwpoe
    It is amazing to me that you would tolerate removing the opiate of the masses and replace it with actual opium.

Originally Posted by JT
    i always thought you were trying to be funny and just had a bad sense of humor!! wtf?
    Wehe dem Kind, das beim Kuss auf die Stirn salzig schmekt, es ist verhext und muss bald sterben.
    see zero sky

Administrator

I've had the same concern about a bunch of my meds to, narco is one of them, fact is there's afew that are addictive really. The wai it's explained to me, and makes sense, is a quality of life deal. How do you function with them as compared to with out them? If you need your meds medically to live your life the best you can, cool, do it, and don't be to worried about addiction. But when you need your meds to function cause you needs your meds first, that's a difference.
    It kinda sounds like a fine line I know, and tbh, yeah Id say im probably hooked on some of my meds, but without them....im a wrech before I started, ain't much better now...

Kwisatz Haderach Retired Administrator delerium's Avatar

I think you guys are confusing addiction with dependence.

Yes, you're going to develop some level of physical dependence, where your body adapts to a drug, if you use these sorts of medications with regularity. This is not the same as addiction. Addiction is compulsive drug use despite harmful consequences, it's the intense psychological desire to use a drug that disrupts day to day functioning.

OP: I'm not saying addiction is something you won't have to worry about if you use medications like this long-term and with regularity, but if you're taking therapeutic doses responsibly, and have the wherewithal to be guarded against any recreational use at your age then I'd say that this isn't something you should obsess over. Addicts sometimes don't like to admit this, but a majority of the time they are complicit in their own addiction.
    tell me why you are like this
    are you the same with anyone
    save me from my sickness and tell me
    why are you like this?

Originally Posted by iwpoe
    It is amazing to me that you would tolerate removing the opiate of the masses and replace it with actual opium.

Originally Posted by JT
    i always thought you were trying to be funny and just had a bad sense of humor!! wtf?
    Wehe dem Kind, das beim Kuss auf die Stirn salzig schmekt, es ist verhext und muss bald sterben.
    see zero sky

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by delerium View Post

Yes, you're going to develop some level of physical dependence, where your body adapts to a drug, if you use these sorts of medications with regularity. This is not the same as addiction. Addiction is compulsive drug use despite harmful consequences, it's the intense psychological desire to use a drug that disrupts day to day functioning.

OP: I'm not saying addiction is something you won't have to worry about if you use medications like this long-term and with regularity, but if you're taking therapeutic doses responsibly, and have the wherewithal to be guarded against any recreational use at your age then I'd say that this isn't something you should obsess over. Addicts sometimes don't like to admit this, but a majority of the time they are complicit in their own addiction.
    Your probably right, and it is really important to follow the doctors prescription instruction thing. If you do that, yeah, probably no issues, especially if your using it like a PRN and not when ever you want. Keeping inside the dr orders, you need to kinda weigh the positive and negative side affects
    Over all, being in a better place.
    Addiction does happen, easily, but could stop or slow it by keeping within dr orders

commie scum Member ChairmanHillard's Avatar

You never really know if you're going to get addicted, it's different for different people. Will you get used to what is a chemical crutch? Absolutely, but if you need it then you need it, all you can really do is consult your doctor, be vigilant, and put control of the good stuff in your parents hands
    Let the haze lift Pull yourself out of that grave pit
    And consider how you became sick - Slave, Zack Hemsey

We learn to walk but the spirit in us crawls - We will reign, The last internationale

And in the spring, i shed my skin and it blows away with the changing wind
    the waters turn, from blue to red as towards the sky i offer it
    - Rabbit heart, Florence + The machine

תֹ֙הוּ֙ וָבֹ֔הו Member Berserker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delerium View Post

Well, psychological and physical addiction.
    He drove the desert, fired his rifle in the sky
    And says, "God if I have to die you will have to die"
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Originally Posted by GovBot
    I like to wear skin from dead babies.
    The skyline was beautiful on fire
    All twisted metal stretching upwards
    Everything washed in a thin orange haze
    I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful...
    These are truly the last days"
    You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    Like a daydream or a fever...
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Album
    Member Photo Albums