Default The Pope's visit to America

I just wondered how the Popes visit was being reported /viewed.
    As a non Catholic, non American I am just interested about this.
    It seems to me that it must be difficult.
    Loads of people will disagree with him on abortion and divorce and traditionalists will be upset that he has made a few comments which suggest he might be a little bit more liberal than they wanted.
    Of course child sex scandals will always be a problem for the churches reputation.
    I quite like it, but again some Americans might not appreciate the way he appears to be talking about global warming and poverty and how you can't separate your faith from the consequences of decisions you make in business.
    I am interested not just in replies from Catholics but from anyone who can explain how things are going.
    BOGOF
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No not an insult but an invitation to visit.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A diary I share with Osteo
    A chance to try a few games, meet a few friends and have your say.

Konoha no Kiiroi Senkō Member Drakon's Avatar

Default Re: The Pope's visit to America

It would say that there was more about it in Polish news, than on CNN.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    You should visit
    , one of best diaries on forum.

Originally Posted by Ryan
    Apparently all the other kids don't have to bow in my presence, carry me to my lessons or cater to my every whim. Absolutely ridiculous.

Originally Posted by delerium
    Because sex is slightly more complicated then sticking your penis in someone and having an orgasm.
    War. War never changes.

Well, I'm not a catholic but I've seen stuff on the news about the Pope being here and where he's going and doing and stuff
    not sure I get all the stuff he's talking about but seems like the news is presenting stuff kinda positive about him
    yeah he blessed baby and all that jazz and said a bunch of stuff I didn't understand, but he seems pretty chill
    but who do I compare him to also?
    i guess he's pretty liberal about being gay as far as Catholics are concerned, the nuns at school, I don't think they like him much cause of that

Yeah I heard that bull shit in school
    I was the kid who asked about masturbating and if it was a sin
    they said yes
    i said bull shit
    they didn't like that much

I was pretty impressed with the pope. I dunno.... just the way that he phrased things when addressing Congress... it seems like he was doing things where he has a way of saying things in such a way that was inclusive, not exclusive. Not judgemental or preachy. My favorite part was it was reported that leaders of Congress wanted him to share lunch with them, but he was like, "no thanks. I have a lunch date with the homeless". unfortunately i didn't hear anything in the report that any of them joined him!

Meet me at the

Quote Originally Posted by Osteo View Post
    CNN is garbage
    Better than FOX atleast my friend *shudders*
    "Die wohlfeilste Art des Stolzes hingegen ist der Nationalstolz. Denn er verrät in dem damit Behafteten den Mangel an individuellen Eigenschaften, auf die er stolz sein könnte, indem er sonst nicht zu dem greifen würde, was er mit so vielen Millionen teilt. Wer bedeutende persönliche Vorzüge besitzt, wird vielmehr die Fehler seiner eigenen Nation, da er sie beständig vor Augen hat, am deutlichsten erkennen. Aber jeder erbärmliche Tropf, der nichts in der Welt hat, darauf er stolz sein könnte, ergreift das letzte Mittel, auf die Nation, der er gerade angehört, stolz zu sein. Hieran erholt er sich und ist nun dankbarlich bereit, alle Fehler und Torheiten, die ihr eigen sind, mit Händen und Füßen zu verteidigen."
    -Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    It would say that there was more about it in Polish news, than on CNN.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Might be more on the BBC too. Its in the newspapers too over here. I like th eway he is trying to identify himself with th epoor and not the rich It swhat jesus did but the different churches haven't been very good at putting itvnto practice.
    BOGOF

No not an insult but an invitation to visit.....

A diary I share with Osteo
    A chance to try a few games, meet a few friends and have your say.

Ginger Wizard Member Mr. Scientist's Avatar
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

As an American myself, I do not like the Pope at all right now. I'm liberal though, so bear with me here.

I'm more angry over the fact that the Pope has been in the media spotlight for years now claiming to be Jesus-like and telling people of his support for gays or how we need to create more equality and whatever else he has said. Honestly, his stance isn't really anything new, but the church has gone into crisis mode over the legalization of Gay Marriage here in America and when some religious figure speaks the truth of loving others no matter what, everyone loses their damn mind.

Also, I really don't care for this pope honestly. Nothing against his words, but his recent visit and talk with Kim Davis-a Kentucky woman who aims to keep gays from getting married in her area, only confirms that his talk is all probably just an act really. I'm sure he doesn't actually support gays in all honestly, just is telling everyone to love thy neighbor kind of thing. If you're going to tell everyone in the media and all the people you talk to that being gay is not a big deal or whatever he said, then you shouldn't go behind everyone's back and tell the one person who despises gay marriage to keep doing her thing and whatnot. Completely hypocritical if you ask me. His act is probably just that...an act. He definitely shows the hypocritical attitudes and behaviors of Christians in America though. Sad, but true.
    Last edited by Mr. Scientist; Oct-04-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    Former Philosophy and Debate/Arts and Entertainment Moderator

Come visit my diary, The Life of a Bisexual Teen!

Ginger Wizard Member Mr. Scientist's Avatar
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

No, in Catholicism homosexuality is okay as long as you don't have sex.

The point of that is because sexuality is something unique "god" gave you, but because you can only have sex to reproduce, sex is a no no for gays. It's also a nono for breeders to use condoms, or the pill.
    It honestly depends on your party. I'd say people who watch damn networks like FOX news don't care about religion unless it's part of politics! It's annoying as can be to see all the political banter from Republican candidates. Especially from a guy like Donald Trump who speaks a lot, but doesn't seem to have any common sense whatsoever. If he or Ben Carson become President, I'm going to be embarassed to be American for good.

If you're a liberal like me though, you really do focus on religion, but in a more negative way. I was raised religious, but not like this and the use of religion to push for political ideology is detrimental to our society. Period. Most liberals like myself really just dislike the way organized religion is being used in America and would prefer to see it banned for good.
    Former Philosophy and Debate/Arts and Entertainment Moderator

Come visit my diary, The Life of a Bisexual Teen!

That weird kid that always sits in the back Member jaffed's Avatar

Americans don't give a shit about religion EXCEPT when trying to sway votes.
    So true!
    ---

As a non-American living in America, and as a non-Catholic living in a very Catholic region.... The news and what kids talk about at school are quite different. Most of the kids hear a different version, since they are watching Univision at home, or listening to the radio from Mexico City, media which has an entirely different outlook than the normal USA media. Media here treats the visit as a political event, of course, and only talks about the stuff that might have a political impact. But part of that is because the Pope's viewpoints make most Americans uncomfortable, particularly the religious right, who always embraced Catholicism until they learned that the Pope himself was tolerant, something they themselves could not tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scientist View Post
    Most liberals like myself really just dislike the way organized religion is being used in America and would prefer to see it banned for good.
    What the actual fuck? For all the time you libs spend on talking about people's personal freedoms you're gonna really say organized religion should be banned? What? Let's say a movie comes out that supports terrorism or something. Do we go out and ban all movies? Using your logic we sure do! This might actually be the most hypocritical and purely stupid statement I've ever seen in my life.

Thread Information