Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar

Default Galileo's middle finger

Galileo Galilei died in 1642. But the middle finger of the great Renaissance astronomer can still be seen at a museum named after him in Florence. The Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science has Galileo's right middle finger and several other of his relics on display.

The middle finger is kept in a glass egg which sits atop an engraved pedestal.

The museum describes the display and how the finger ended up there.

This item exemplifies the celebration of Galileo as a hero and martyr of science. The finger was detached from the body by Anton Francesco Gori on March 12, 1737, when Galileo's remains were moved from the original grave to the monumental tomb built on the initiative of Vincenzo Viviani. The finger became the property of Angelo Maria Bandini and was long exhibited at the Biblioteca Laurenziana. In 1841, the relic was transferred to the just-opened Tribuna di Galileo in the Museo di Fisica e Storia Naturale. Together with the Medici-Lorraine instruments, it was eventually moved to the Museo di Storia della Scienza in 1927. On the marble base is carved a commemorative inscription by Tommaso Perelli.
    Here's another view.

On the one hand Galileo would probably be appalled to know that his body parts are being venerated almost like religious objects. But he might also have some sense of satisfaction that he's still giving the finger to science deniers and purveyors of superstition.

BTW, this is not our first thread about the remains of pioneers of astronomy.
    http://forums.govteen.com/anthropolo...bly-found.html
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Default Re: Galileo's middle finger

Dude I saw the title of this thread and had to check it out. I honestly wonder if hes sitting up in heaven laughing at the display. Did he have really long fingers, or is that just the camera angle?
    Come To:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ​Also, please check out

Originally Posted by CodyTheFox
    I just want to know if you can delete your account on govteen?

Originally Posted by Struggle Cuddle
    Short of been a convicted pedophile no.

Originally Posted by David_
    Also, I should note, you should not become a convicted pedophile just to delete your account
    ​Follow me on Twitter! @shannon_Theguy
    GovFamily

GovUncle: Tim (optid)
    GovFather: Ryan
    GovBrother: Ezra
    GovSisters: Mya, Sabela, and Danna
    ​John 3:17

<--- The Best Smilies

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__ View Post
    Dude I saw the title of this thread and had to check it out. I honestly wonder if hes sitting up in heaven laughing at the display. Did he have really long fingers, or is that just the camera angle?
    I think that by finger they mean the entire length of the bone down to the wrist. It's more obvious in an x-ray.

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

The revolutionary Moderator Etzelnik's Avatar

Read: Galileo gives the bird to hundreds of viewers daily! Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by Etzelnik View Post
    Read: Galileo gives the bird to hundreds of viewers daily! Lmao!
    I wasn't sure how far back in history this gesture went. But now that you mention it I do recall an incident in "The Twelve Caesars" which is a historical account of the lives of Julius Caesar and the first 11 Roman emperors.

This excerpt is from the reign of Augustus:

Hylas, the pantomimic actor, was openly scourged in the atrium of his own house, because a praetor complained about him; while Pylades was not only expelled from the City, but banished from Italy, for directing the whole audience’s attention to a spectator who was hissing him, by giving him the finger.

So by the time Galileo's remains were placed in a monumental tomb in 1737 and the finger was removed by Gori, this gesture had been around for at least over 17 centuries.

Since I already brought it up, I recommend "The Twelve Caesars" by Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus (or just plain Suetonius).
    As histories go it's very gossipy. A lot of the good stuff in "I, Claudius" comes from this second century book.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Professional Fortune Cookie Writer Member Spraints's Avatar

Pretty cool post optid. An interesting random tidbit.
    Click an album to play a song

UNFUCKWITHABLE
    "When you are truly at peace and in touch with yourself,
    nothing anyone says or does bothers you and no negativity can touch you."

Thread Information