Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help with Class President speech!

Default Help with Class President speech!

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    I'm running for senior class president, and I have a decent chance this year. But I'm looking for some tips for my speech. It's pretty much done but I want something to make it stand out. I'll post the whole thing once I polish it up. But has anyone run for office and said something really effective, or heard someone's speech at their school that made you want to vote for that person?
    17/F/PA
    -[We want our forks and knives and spoons back.
    No more sporks or f-nives or kn-poons!]-
    -[Now playing in selected cities. Just pray to God that YOUR city has been selected!]-

• Advertising

The key thing is to have some comedy in it. Face it, most students dont care about all the "id make your class better by...". Sure, its important - but make sure its also funny somehow. Try adding a joke or two. Good luck!
    - Number 4 Falls

Well I cant help you cause I ran and gave a speech and didn't win so I don't wanna give you anything I did:-P
    -Josh

Originally posted by Joshua
    Well I cant help you cause I ran and gave a speech and didn't win so I don't wanna give you anything I did:-P
    Actually you should tell her what you said, so she'll say the exact opposite.
    I've never run for office but I've voted. I was never impressed by speeches or flyers.
    What I cared about was if a candidate took the time to talk to me. If you were the only one to come up to me in the hallway, introduce yourself and ask me to vote for you I'd probably vote for you. So my advice would be to go up to as many people as you can, introduce yourself, tell them in one or 2 sentences why they should vote for you, give them a flyer (if that's allowed) and ask for their vote.

Here is my speech. Let me knwo if there's anything I should add or subtract. And some background info: The juniors organize the prom, and up till now a fruit sale was the only fundraiser but because it sucked this year we're not doing that anymore. It was a tradition for seniors to attend prom for free, but this year's seniors will be the last to attend free. Omnium Gatherum was an event sponsored by student council during school where bands and individuals from the school could get on stage and perform, but for whatever reason they didn't do it this year. Thanks to anyone who helps out.

This year has been one of traditions ended. The fruit sale, fortunately to many of you, has come to an end. Seniors will no longer attend prom for free after this year. Omnium Gatherum was not organized this year. This yearís senior class leaves a legacy of broken tradition. If elected, I will ensure that our class leaves a legacy of new and exciting traditions begun.

Here are a few of my objectives for our senior year. For the past two years I have offered to create a website for the Student Council to interact with the student body, and for two years my offer was disregarded. As president I would make this concept a reality, providing students with a better avenue of communication not only with student council, but with other students as well. I want to create a place where students can share their concerns and comments with other students via a message board, and also voice their opinions by way of email directly to student council and class officers. Through the creation of this website, I also hope to forge a closer and lasting affiliation between the class president and the student council president. When other students considered running for this position and wondered what their potential duties would be, the most common answers were the semi-formal, speeches at assemblies, and leading the Pledge of Allegiance. If elected I will make this office more than just a formality. This yearís president told potential candidates that the job comes with many other duties that often remain unspecified until elected. I am not only eager to pursue these ventures, I will create more for myself because I truly want this year to be special for us, and I want to set precedents that will make the senior year distinctive for every future class.

I played a vital part in making this yearĎs prom a success as part of the advertising, music, and decorating committees. Many of you told me that you enjoyed my daily pleas for strings of white lights at announcements, and I will let you know that I enjoyed making them. I want people to be interested and involved, and Iím willing to go the distance to motivate our class, and the entire senior school, to be active, whether I must make humorous announcements or personally design posters to catch studentsí eyes about upcoming events. My experience in planning this yearís prom will help me to plan a winter semi-formal that outshines the success of A Midsummer Nightís Dream. I would like the whole student body to be more involved in the process, so I will distribute surveys asking students what they liked or disliked about the previous yearís event and any proposals they have for the planning committee. As for our final prom at Sewickley Academy, I would like to create the position of a senior representative to the prom committee next year to help guide the juniors through the planning process and any difficulties they encounter, as well as to share the desires of senior students for their final celebration as students of Sewickley Academy. I would like to brainstorm with next yearís juniors to create a new fundraising plan so that at the very least seniors could attend prom with discounted ticket prices.

Many of you may have noticed that Omnium Gatherum, our traditional talent showcase, never occurred this year. I want to bring Omnium Gatherum back, and revamp it as a bigger, more eclectic, more entertaining, and more structured event in which more of our talented students will want to participate and everyone will want to see. I want to organize more events like this, including more dances and pep rallies on our yearly calendar.

Many of you go through the school year with hidden distresses and complaints about classes or teachers. Most people donít feel comfortable going to a teacher and voicing their concerns, and very few teachers make use of year-end or semester-end evaluations, which is why I want to create a uniform evaluation system, where students can share their problems, and praises, about particular classes or teachers, and have confidence that their comments are acknowledged and not put aside in some file cabinet.

I know a few of you rue the day you began attending this school, and many of you canít wait until graduation day. I donít want our final year to be a constant longing for the end. I want people to be excited for dances the way we were in middle school. I want everyone to cheer like true fans at our pep rallies, which will occur more often if I am elected. I want students of the arts at Sewickley Academy to feel more appreciated, more recognized, and more supported by the school. And I want to plan more things for the students, so that Sewickley Academy isnít just a place where we have to work hard and plan for the future, but also a place where we can have fun, enjoy the moment, and share a little school spirit.
    ajakarin96 likes this.
    17/F/PA
    -[Now playing in selected cities. Just pray to God that YOUR city has been selected!]-

(Reed)
    St. Louis, Missouri....hopefuly Greencastle, IN or Lexington, VA this time next year.

Sounds pretty good...but I would try to take some of the "I"'s and somehoe change them to "you"'s (since, afterall, you are representing your class and not yourself). Good luck and I hope you win (now I need to go work on my speech that I'm giving next week for honor council elections).
    FOUR MORE YEARS!....BUSH CHENEY '04

(Daniel)

Originally posted by JumpActionHero
    The key thing is to have some comedy in it. Face it, most students dont care about all the "id make your class better by...". Sure, its important - but make sure its also funny somehow. Try adding a joke or two. Good luck!
    True! And always start with a joke. A story joke is good, but riskier. Make sure it's funny too. It will open up the crowd.

you should actually open up the speech with a quote used by some of our greatest presidents(its your opinion whos best, but i would offer you check out FDR, Lincoln, or Johnson)..Im actully taking a speech course untill the end of this year, and my teacher said the best way to open up your speech is with either a joke/rhetorical question/quote..rhetorical question would be something like "Are you tried of going inside of the school washrooms, only to find your self stepping in urine?" then give what you could better it by..and also, another tip, use a speech outline..writing speeches out verbatim will screw you up, , and you will be reading from the paper..if you have an outline of everything, and you look at your audience most of the time, ,they will feel that you are alot more comfortable talking to groups of people, and not being nervous..and PRACTICE the speech..practice makes perfect, and no one will ever be perfect, but the more you practice, the better you get at something..

heres a sample outline..i wrote this outline for a speech i just done on may1st, thursday..it was a biography speech on Dr. H.H. Holmes, who was America's first serial killer..you can get the drift, and how its supposed to be organised and shiza..

the indention got all screwed up when i postedd the format, and the indention is also a big part of the speech, so heres the files that i uploaded it to geocities, , only because i dont feel like firing up my server..too many people steal my bandwidth and i lag very badly..

http://www.geocities.com/metallicaphan/outline.txt

the introduction and conclusion can be written verbatim, ,just dont read your speech verbatim(word-for-word)

thanks for the help people. I ended up rewriting my speech the night before. It had pretty much the same ideas but with some jokes and other stuff added, and it was shorter. Everyone says I did well, and I'm happier with the new version. Elections aren't till Monday though, so I have to be nervous until then. Everyone says I'm in the top three or two of the five people. We had this one guy who is running as a total joke, he has no speaking skills and has only been at our school for two years and had completely unoriginal ideas, and some other guy ran his whole campaign for him, even walked around getting people to sign his petition. It was ridiculous. And there will always be the jokers who will vote for him to be funny, so that's worrying everyone.
    17/F/PA

I WON I WON I WON I WON I WON I WON I WON I WON !!!!!!!!! And by just two votes!
    17/F/PA

Congratulations!!
    I think you'll be a great Class Prez...

(Reed)
    St. Louis, Missouri....hopefuly Greencastle, IN or Lexington, VA this time next year.

Congrats. Good luck... (and damn your lucky, i lost my honor council election)
    FOUR MORE YEARS!....BUSH CHENEY '04

Well done! And so close too!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

(Linda)

Default Re: Help with Class President speech!

Hi guys, I need a little C.P speech help as well. This is my first time running and I'm really hoping to make it. I think I'm fine with everything else EXCEPT for the speech. I have no idea how to convince people to vote for me. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Help with Class President speech!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda01 View Post
    Hi guys, I need a little C.P speech help as well. This is my first time running and I'm really hoping to make it. I think I'm fine with everything else EXCEPT for the speech. I have no idea how to convince people to vote for me. Any suggestions?

You could have made a new thread. There was no need to bump one from 3 years ago
    Current medical student - not a qualified doctor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast