Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Age To Work at Subway

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Hi, im looking to find a job at subway. Right now i work at an amusement park, but come september im done working there because they close. Right now im working at mcdonalds one day a week just so i can keep that job there, but the problem is i cant stand that job so im looking for a new job so i can quit mcdonalds. Im thinking about working at subway, but i was wondering if anyone knew how old you have to be to work there, right now i am 15 so its kinda hard for me to find a job.

• Advertising

Tim
    (Tim)

Default Re: Age To Work at Subway

How do you find a job at 15 in the first place?

I would guess 16, the normal age for working.

hL
    (Chelsea)

I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to work at Subway, but I'm not sure, it might be 16.

Anything with food - you have to be ATLEAST 16 to work there. But most restaurants, ect, require you to be 18.
    Those who dance are thought mad by those who can not hear the music.

It's incredible how one person can make such a big difference in my life. You touch me in a way no one else ever has and give me so many reasons to smile.
    To mylover, my mentor, and my bestfriend.
    Kyle, I love you.

Formerly known as Rockerbabe.

(Dan)

It depends where you live, and it can vary from Subway to Subway as they are franchises and are free to set their own policies.

For example, the minimum age to work in Ontario is 14. Most places prefer 15 or 16 at minimum, but some stores (especially grocery stores) and some fast food restaurants hire at 14 here.

(super manslut =]]])

I worked at 13 but only by a long shot.

For Subway, here it is 16. If your in the US chances are its 16, could be 15 in other places, like other states, though. Other countries, not sure.

Lithium, don't want to lock me up inside.
    Lithium, don't want to forget how it feels without...
    Lithium, I want to stay in love with my sorrow.
    Oh, but God, I want to let it go.

(Mark)
    Banned

My brother started working at Subway when he was 15, but because his birthday was in two weeks. He doesn't work there now anymore. He loved it but it conflicted with his lacrosse playing.

Anywho, 16 is not a "normal age" for working. I know places like Toys R Us around here hire 13 year olds to stock shelves. 14 year olds can work at a place like the board of education or some sort of municipal thing, like town functions(here, most kids do it in my town's Recreation Department...they run all the things like carnivals, 4th of july festival, halloween things, st patrick's day parade, and my town's summer day camp) just doing office work like making copies or something. But for the camp you can get a job as a janitor/assistant counselor(you're just a janitor during snack times and lunch time) at 15. At 16 you can be a counselor here. Most work as a counselor until like 19 and come back every summer, some as long as fully through college.

But yeah, employers like it anyway when you're straight with them(not like sexuality-wise). So why not go up and ask are you hiring, and how old do you have to be?

(Dave)

It depends where you live, and it can vary from Subway to Subway as they are franchises and are free to set their own policies.
    That's 100% the case, there's no set age limit for the chain as a whole. I can't speak for the US, but here in the UK, the liability insurance most Subway franchisees have restricts the age many will employ from to 18. Employees under 18 aren't allowed to carry out all jobs, e.g. using certain equipment, so it's fairly unattractive for franchisees to employ them, even though we can pay them less.

On the other hand though, there are some franchisees over here who employ children as young as 14 to do the washing up. From what I've seen and read about Subways in America though, they are slightly less restrictive on the ages of their workers than we are over here. Certainly there are kids from 16 and up working the counter in many states.

(Kommissar Conner)

Penguin Re: Age To Work at Subway

Well, I'm not sure.

Some people did work experience at Subway, (at 15) and were offered summer jobs this year. But if you want to go in and ask for a job, you get it at 16.

I suppose if you can prove you're good enough through work experience, it's 15. Otherwise, 16.
    My Facebook (stalker central) - http://www.facebook.com/conner.low

Quote Originally Posted by Slut Bunwalla View Post
    don't be polite about art...it hasn't been polite about anything in centuries.

(Maggie)

the law in america says you have to be at least 16 to work with food.
    And everytime you kiss me, kiss me like you'll never see me again.

99 Problems Prick, Don't Become The 100th One.

(Mark)
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xoxcheerxox92
    the law in america says you have to be at least 16 to work with food.
    Sorry, darling

From the US Department of Labor 29 CFR Part 570.34:
    On February 14, 2005, new regulations regarding the types of cooking that 14 and 15-years may perform will become effective. From that day forward, 14- and 15-year-olds may only perform cooking that (l) involves the use of electric and gas grills that do not entail cooking over an open flame and (2) involves the use of deep fat fryers which are equipped with and utilize devices which automatically raise and lower the baskets, but not pressurized fryers.

That's basically the only thing anyone under 16 can do with food/food stuffs in the US. Minors under 16 cannot bake, load or unload goods/food supplies onto or from a truck, conveyor, railroad cars or tanks, or other means of transportation. They cannot work inside a freezer or meat cooler. They cannot adjust, repair, operate, or clean any power driven food slicers such as bread or bagel slicers.

For anything else you guys want to know, go here: http://www.youthrules.dol.gov/selfas...taurant.htm#A2

Just scroll down past the quiz part, where all the information is given to you Most of the important stuff I got from there is above, but if you have any other concerns, they're probably on that page or elsewhere on the US Department of Labor's website.

(Phillip)

Just call them (the local location you want to work at) or go in and ask...

(Brian)

I know this probably doesn't help the original poster, but it might help someone else who reads this thread...

My cousin has a part time job at a Subway outlet here in Perth. He's been working there since the age of 14 and 2 months

Kids can work in pizza shops, McDonalds, Hungry Jack's (what they call Burger King over here), Red Rooster, fish and chip shops, chinese take-aways and just about any other fast food type place. You can be out at the front counter serving, or out the back cooking. There really aren't too many restrictions on what they let you do.

Oh and according to subway.com.au - Australia is the largest market outside of the USA for Subway!

(Cherie)

Im 13 yrs old and I work at Subway. In Australia, 13 is the legal age to work.
    Although, its really easy to find work in my town though because its small and every place is understaffed.

Hope this helped.
    x

Smile Re: Age To Work at Subway

I got a job at subway when i was 14 im now 15 and Shift Runner
    subway is so much fun to work at and my boss is the best!!
    Subway is a great first job and is a good expierance. =]

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLiveDIE View Post
    Im 13 yrs old and I work at Subway. In Australia, 13 is the legal age to work.
    Although, its really easy to find work in my town though because its small and every place is understaffed.

Hope this helped.
    x
    Read the date before pulling up old threads. Your advice is irrelevant because this question is over two years old.
    Life doesn't have to be perfect
    To be wonderful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast