Kendra

Default What makes you think you'd be the best candidate for the job?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    This damned question! I swear it's the bane of my job searching experience. It comes up in every interview and somehow I'm blind-sided by it everytime. Anyone know just what interviewers are looking for when they ask this question?

• Advertising

Default Re: What makes you think you'd be the best candidate for the job?

They just want you to say what skills you can bring to the field of work and explain how you would do a good job.

(stephen)

Quote Originally Posted by Zelas
    This damned question! I swear it's the bane of my job searching experience. It comes up in every interview and somehow I'm blind-sided by it everytime. Anyone know just what interviewers are looking for when they ask this question?
    There's always "Pick me, I'm better than everyone else" ... But obviously that would come across as kinda arrogant. And sarcastic answers wouldn't really help.

Seriously, though ... I'm not really sure how I'd answer it. Luckily for me, it didn't come up in any of my interviews.

RWD

You want to sound confident, but not conceited and arrogant.
    What he's really asking is, "This is a job that a lot of people can do. Why should I hire you?"

Possible answers:

I really need to work to save money for my university education. OR My father is unemployed and I want to help my family out. (Shows you'll work hard, be to work on time, and take your job seriously. You're not just working to buy beer and weed.)

I'm punctual and reliable. (Give an example, such as: "This past school year I've only missed one day of classes.")

I'm patient with angry customers. (Useful if you deal with the public a lot: cashier, waiter, salesclerk.)

I'm really careful and precise with figures. (useful if a cashier. For some stupid reason employers don't give a shit if you're slow and the line is a mile long. But if you're off by ten cents att he end of the day they suspect you're stealing.)

The answers shouldn't be bullshit. Find which of the above applies, and if you can come up with a specific example, so much the better.

P.S.: "I need the money because I got your two daughters pregnant and want to buy a plane ticket to Brazil" is a bad answer!

answers to frequently asked questions:
    1) Yes you're normal.
    2) Girls don't care how long it is, as long as you have one.
    3) Ask her out.
    If you don't the worst that can happen is you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
    If you do the worst that can happen is she won't go out with you ... but since she's not going out with you now, you've got nothing to lose.