Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default if you take your own life, do you go to hell?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    For all my life I've been hearing that if you commit mortal sins and don't feel sorry about it you go to hell. I guess that is understandable.. but what if you kill yourself? I think that is considered a mortal sin.. but if there really is such a God and is claimed to be loving and understanding then why would he send you to hell so you can suffer more? Makes no sense. Do you guys think if you commit suicide you automatically are sent to hell?

• Advertising

(Ewan)

Default Re: if you take your own life, do you go to hell?

According to scripture, I'd say yes. (From what I've heard.) If you commit suicide, then you're just running away from the problem rather than praying and working through your issues with the help of God and stuff like that.

I think.

(stephen)

No, you'd simply cease to exist. The Heaven/Hell part isn't supposed to happen until all the judgment stuff is dealt with .......

(Ewan)

Wasn't all that stuff about the "end of days" just tacked onto the Bible back some time in the medieval period?

And wouldn't a suicide go to Purgatory, before moving on to Heaven/Hell?

(Lauren)
    Banned

I was told that if you take your own life, you certainly dont go to heaven. But I'm not sure about hell. Maybe you just end up in limbo and have to prove yourself again before going to heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by laurenisme View Post
    I was told that if you take your own life, you certainly dont go to heaven.
    So do you believe this, or do you not believe everything someone tells you?

(Phillip)

Which version of Christianity do you prescribe to?

Quote Originally Posted by broken7 View Post
    For all my life I've been hearing that if you commit mortal sins and don't feel sorry about it you go to hell. I guess that is understandable.. but what if you kill yourself? I think that is considered a mortal sin.. but if there really is such a God and is claimed to be loving and understanding then why would he send you to hell so you can suffer more? Makes no sense. Do you guys think if you commit suicide you automatically are sent to hell?
    Since you mention "mortal sin" I think it's likely you're Catholic.

Now the interesting thing is that if you go by the strict logic of the Catholic teachings and nothing else, you would be forced to conclude that, yep, you'd go to hell in that situation. However, if you ask the typical Catholic clergyman that question directly, the odds are overwhelming you're going to get a different answer about how no one can really answer that conclusively and that it would depend on the individual circumstances and only God would know and be able to take into account all those circumstances, etc. In other words, they'll "waffle."

A typical Protestant viewpoint would more likely be of the "once saved, always saved" philosophy. Most Protestants believe that once a person has accepted Jesus as Savior (see Romans 10:9 for example) then he can NEVER be separated from God's love (see Romans 8:38-39, for example). The problem is that a lot of "once saved, always saved" Protestants who quote those two verses tend to conveniently forget Hebrews 10:26-29.

Really, though, Hebrews 10:26-29 can't reasonably be applied to the case of most people who commit suicide. I think it's pretty rare that a person commits suicide as a deliberately sinful act. They do it because they're feeling sad, and hopeless, and in despair. And from the Christian point of view that's a sad thing, because Christianity teaches that even when our lives are at their bleakest, we have the promise of God's love (there's that Romans 8:38-39 again) and the example of other Biblical figures such as Job (book of Job) and the Psalmist of Psalm 88, for example, who managed to prevail through their troubles by clinging to their faith in God.

In my OPINION, the fate of the suicidal person really depends on their relationship with Jesus up to that point in their life. If they have had the chance to accept Jesus and never done so, then of course their fate Biblically will be enternal damnation, same as that of any other unsaved person who refused Jesus. Jesus declared that only through Him can people enter Heaven (John 14:6 and Jesus gives no exception clauses to that. However, a saved Christian who has been brought to depression and misery through unfavorable life circumstances...well is it logical to believe that a loving Father would reject a beloved child - and that's what we become when we accept Jesus - beloved children of the Father - for being sad and depressed enough to do that? On the contrary, personally I believe He would have unimaginable understanding and sympathy! That is my speculation, of course.

But either way, there is no reason for a Christian to allow him- or herself to get to that point. God's greatest gift to us after His love and mercy is His gift of other people - other Christians - to help pull us through tough times. The person who is feeling suicidal should be all means pray - and talk to others, because suicide is never the correct answer.
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

So called "moderate" Member Gay.'s Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Phillip says:
    It's things like the suicide thread that REALLY make me wish I was unfrozen.
    Some of these people are just talking out of their ass when it comes to theology...it's horrifying.
    See what you've done, Govteen? SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

The Yellow Book

"In a sense it might even be said that our failure is to form habits: for, after all, habit is relative to a stereotyped world, and meantime it is only the roughness of the eye that makes two persons, things, situations, seem alike."

lol, Phillip holds the word of God

Well, I agree with Christian on this one. I think if you have Jesus in your heart nothing can keep you from God other than of course committing blasphemy by giving up on Jesus.

So what about the suicides in the Bible before Jesus, such as Saul in 1st or 2nd Samuel, though one of those is assisted suicide, regardless, people fall on their sword or someone else chops off their head. And what of Judas? Was he in hell as the fictional Inferno claims? Or was there an intervention on the Betrayer's part by God?

Quote Originally Posted by muichimotsu View Post
    So what about the suicides in the Bible before Jesus, such as Saul in 1st or 2nd Samuel, though one of those is assisted suicide, regardless, people fall on their sword or someone else chops off their head. And what of Judas? Was he in hell as the fictional Inferno claims? Or was there an intervention on the Betrayer's part by God?
    1. For suicides before Jesus, see the following link:

http://www.carm.org/40_objections/40-3.htm#_1_29

Jesus' sacrifice covered sins before and after the crucifixion.

2. Regarding Judas:

a) "The fictional Inferno" isn't Scripture, and shouldn't be used as a theological reference any more than Harry Potter should be used to explain the laws of physics.

b) Biblically, we can pretty much safely assume there was no "intervention" for Judas and that he is eternally damned with no hope, based on Jesus' statement in Matthew 26:24: "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.""
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

"Thou shalt not kill" sounds pretty clear to me. But that's if you follow one of the religions that teaches that.
    SOMECOMMUNITIES: A Forum Community

"I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people!
    You can be a Mormon, a Mormon who just
    believes!" -- Kevin Price

"Joseph Smith, don't fuck the baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS if you fuck this frog." -- God

______
    ADIOGL

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    1. For suicides before Jesus, see the following link:

http://www.carm.org/40_objections/40-3.htm#_1_29

Jesus' sacrifice covered sins before and after the crucifixion.

2. Regarding Judas:

a) "The fictional Inferno" isn't Scripture, and shouldn't be used as a theological reference any more than Harry Potter should be used to explain the laws of physics.

b) Biblically, we can pretty much safely assume there was no "intervention" for Judas and that he is eternally damned with no hope, based on Jesus' statement in Matthew 26:24: "The Son of Man is to go, just as it is written of Him; but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.""
    !st answer sounds like a cop out, but fair enough, that's generally the only option.

But I know Inferno, Paradiso, etc are fiction, but I was wondering what you thought of the notion of there being divisions of hell in the first place. I never said it was scripture did I? And it seems to me that Judas having no possibility of reconciliation only makes the whole "Judas has to betray Jesus, Jesus has to be killed" thing all the more evidence that God seems very malicious, among other words to describe it, such as a megalomaniac.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast