Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Traveling to Europe -- I am determined to make this happen!

(Justin)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default Traveling to Europe -- I am determined to make this happen!

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    So late December and early January, I want to travel to Europe and do a small tour of it. This would be the typical back pack through Europe thing that people like to do. I'd get a two week rail pass and travel all over, stay in hostels (save that money) and experience as much as I can.

Here is a rough map of where I want to go.

EDIT: Modified my plan

This is now the rough plan:

Venice, Italy (start)
    Vienna, Austria
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Berlin, Germany
    Luxembourg
    Paris, France
    London, England (end)

What are some things I should consider when traveling to Europe? Where should I definitely go? Where shouldn't I go? What are some good ways to save money when traveling around, food being a huge part of the cost that can't be easily planned out. Of course I'll have more money at my disposal in case of emergency, but I'd like to have a rough estimate.

At current prices, here's about what I'm looking at.

Flight from Washington to Venice, then London to Washington: $1207
    Eurail Global 15-day continuous pass: $501

I haven't calculated hostels/hotels yet because I want to have an almost set itinerary before I start doing something like accommodations, which are more easily changeable than flights.

I have also heard of low-cost flights between major cities for like $20 USD? Anyone know anything about that? A friend of mine I work with from Romania mentioned it.
    Last edited by Crash Override; Jun-30-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Darren likes this.
    Mess with the best, die like the rest.
    Communities Moderator
    Blogs and Groups Moderator
    Leonardo DiCaprio deserves an Oscar!

• Advertising

(Ω)
    The Coolest Administrator Giggity's Avatar
    My Diaries
    ( 1 2 3 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Traveling to Europe -- I am determined to make this happen!

Take me with you
    Castiel and Caliban like this.
    James
    GovTeen Administrator
    Got a question/suggestion? Post it here
    Need help? PM me

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Another Cool Diary: Pop Rocks and Coke

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity View Post
    Take me with you
    This... ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.
    Ryan: Gov is like when your grandparents see something on TV about the internet and they try to have a conversation with you about it, like "OOOOH, BILLY, ARE YOU ON THE HASHTAGS AND THE FACESPACE LIKE THE REST OF THESE YOUNGINS?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    I am strictly an atheist but I call my agnostic friends 'God curious' exactly the way I'd use bi-curious. They hate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Who the fuck died and made you editor of Vogue?

Come by and check out The Life Of A Bisexual Teen!

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Honestly though, I've been getting rough estimates of $3,000 - $4,000 from Sean (who goes to Europe all the time) for two weeks. AT ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, $3K for everything.
    Last edited by Red Sox Rule!; Jun-19-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    Ryan: Gov is like when your grandparents see something on TV about the internet and they try to have a conversation with you about it, like "OOOOH, BILLY, ARE YOU ON THE HASHTAGS AND THE FACESPACE LIKE THE REST OF THESE YOUNGINS?"
    I am strictly an atheist but I call my agnostic friends 'God curious' exactly the way I'd use bi-curious. They hate that.

(Ω)
    My Diaries
    ( 1 2 3 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sox Rule! View Post
    Honestly though, I've been getting rough estimates of $3,000 - $4,000 from Sean (who goes to Europe all the time) for two weeks. AT MINIMUM, $3K.
    Including everything? I don't think that's too bad, for 2 weeks.
    James
    GovTeen Administrator
    Need help? PM me

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

(Justin)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

I realize there are going to be additional fees, but like I said for the airfare $1057.97 or something for airfare and $501 for the rail pass. One time for all the travel I can do in 15 days. Other than accommodations, what on earth am I missing to make it up to 4k? I mean, I still won't rule it out for 4k, but I want to know what I'm actually missing!
    Communities Moderator

(^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

Okay, here are things you have to look at. Airfare is $1200 as you said, and the Eurail pass is $501. However, that does not cover the Eurostar train from Paris to London, and there are some supplemental charges on the trains you are taking, particularly from Berlin to Paris if you go for a high speed train. You also have to figure in hotel or hostel costs. A good hostel will probably run you $50 a night, I'm not 100% on that though. Food in the various cities ranges in price. London is quite pricey in food; Vienna is medium. A meal in downtown London at a cheap place is still approximately 10 pounds or even more, or $15. The others, I've never been or can't remember. You also have to remember that the Eurail pass will not cover any subways. You also have to take into account the prices of attractions. For example, the Louvre in Paris is 15 Euros while the Colosseum is 12 Euros. These things add up.

Also allow some extra money for contingency issues, I'd recommend $300-500 total extra.

Take all that into account when planning.
    GovCreeper

(Justin)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

I did think about all of that, but I didn't really do too much research as to how much local transportation was going to cost. Hostels don't look too bad, I was thinking maybe $300-400 for those total. I did not think about the Eurostar train being more...so thanks for that heads up. I'm going to have to do a ton more research before I put together an itinerary, even a rough one.

Thanks Sean! I'll definitely put that all on my list of things to look up, and expect a Skype message from me at some point over ther summer!
    Communities Moderator

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
    I realize there are going to be additional fees, but like I said for the airfare $1057.97 or something for airfare and $501 for the rail pass. One time for all the travel I can do in 15 days. Other than accommodations, what on earth am I missing to make it up to 4k? I mean, I still won't rule it out for 4k, but I want to know what I'm actually missing!

It's mostly just as a security blanket for you, the extra money. Remember, it's never bad to have TOO much money, but you can have too little, and obviously you don't want too little.

Banned

I Want To Go To Europe!(:

(Irreducible Complexity.)
    Quiltbag Founder. Member Jacques Lacan's Avatar

travelling london for the day will set you back about a tenner (you're never going out of zone 4, i can't imagine) and food is expensive, but only if you want it to be. we still have McDonald's 99p menu. like, you can eat lunch for $1.50 if you want, it just depends what you like to eat. also it's worth noting you should try to get a hotel near London St. Pancras International because some eurostar trains go hella early and getting to the station 90 minutes prior on, like, a sunday at 8am can be a nightmare.

travelling paris if you spend more than €10 in a day you're doing something wrong. fuck the louvre; you'd spend half your day just getting inside it.

i've only passed through the other places you're going (except barcelona, but you're dropping that anyway). i just did 2 weeks in america for about $3,000, and i was eating out every night, drinking crazy, and going bananas with my costs. if you spend $4,000 in 2 weeks you're insane.
    My god! Is this pure ideology? That. Is. Bananas​.

(Ω)
    My Diaries
    ( 1 2 3 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Lacan View Post
    i've only passed through the other places you're going (except barcelona, but you're dropping that anyway). i just did 2 weeks in america for about $3,000, and i was eating out every night, drinking crazy, and going bananas with my costs.
    Where did you stay?
    James
    GovTeen Administrator
    Need help? PM me

indiana on to dc.

(Justin)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Lacan View Post
    travelling london for the day will set you back about a tenner (you're never going out of zone 4, i can't imagine) and food is expensive, but only if you want it to be. we still have McDonald's 99p menu. like, you can eat lunch for $1.50 if you want, it just depends what you like to eat. also it's worth noting you should try to get a hotel near London St. Pancras International because some eurostar trains go hella early and getting to the station 90 minutes prior on, like, a sunday at 8am can be a nightmare.

travelling paris if you spend more than €10 in a day you're doing something wrong. fuck the louvre; you'd spend half your day just getting inside it.

i've only passed through the other places you're going (except barcelona, but you're dropping that anyway). i just did 2 weeks in america for about $3,000, and i was eating out every night, drinking crazy, and going bananas with my costs. if you spend $4,000 in 2 weeks you're insane.
    I've read that if you eat at places that locals eat, you may get strange looks but it is significantly cheaper than eating at a tourist trap restaurant near Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower or something.

All noted, thank you!!
    Communities Moderator

i've never heard that. sounds like a myth. london's a tourist place. if you actually go through with it, gimme a shout and i'll drop you my number. we don't get along, but i'm like 95% sure i'm not a murderer or something, and having an emergency contact who lives where you're going is helpful in my experience, just in case something goes completely tits up or you get lost mugged etc. etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast