Default Swelling above penis

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Several days ago in the shower I noticed that there was a small lump above my penis (near the pelvic bone) where my pubic hair is...more to one side than the other. It doesn't feel like it is more dense than anywhere else, and if I take a Tylenol it goes down. Sometimes its bigger and other times its smaller, but I'm kind of worried about it. Its not like lump of fatty tissue, it seems to be more inflammation. Will this just go away? what is it?

I started doxycycline for acne a few days ago...would this have any effect?
    I am not sexually active either.

• Advertising

Default Re: Swelling above penis

The fact that you're not sexually active will allow yourself to put your mind at ease about a lot of things!!

My suggestion then is to do one thing to do yourself a big mental favor: stop thinking about this as "above your penis" and just think of it as "in your lower abdomen." Either description is true - correct? - but the abdomen is a lot less emotionally charged an area to most guys and really, I don't think you need to get any more excited or panicked over this situation than you would if it were, say "just about your belly button." Okay?

The most common cause of this sort of thing would be a plain old ordinary pimple. Since apparently you're already seeing a doctor for acne, my advice would be for a few days to just treat this as if it were an acne spot. Give it a few days, and see what happens. If it lasts longer than a typical zit, or if it's obvious to you right now that it is something OTHER than a zit, then see the same doctor that prescribed your acne medication. Because, when you get right down to it, this is really only a skin condition....not a "penis condition."
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks Christian for your response. I should clarify a little though. It is much larger than a zit. It seems as though there is swelling as there might be swelling somewhere else on your body. When i look at my pubic area, the left side is noticeably more inflamed than the other side (the part where my pubic hair is)...and it LOOKS as buldged out a bit. When i feel it, it does not feel abnormal (there is no dense tissue or anything ... not like a breast lump) but it is noticeably inflamed.

I looked up the medication and swelling is not a side effect of it.

Do you think it might be a hernia? That might cause bulging.

Since it is obviously a larger area, then my recommendation would be to see a doctor, and sooner. Perhaps there is an infection of some kind (I'm not talking about anything you'd have to be "embarassed" about - just an ordinary infection).

If I were you I'd tell a parent about this...ideally, if you can bring yourself to do it, let a parent look at it...and see if they think you need to have it checked out by a doctor.
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.