Thumbs down Strange rash around the base of my penis

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Guys I need help. About a month and a half ago I noticed this small rash around the base of my penis when I decided to shave. It was small so I didn't worry about it. However, just now I noticed that it got bigger and now looks like a ring worm and it is also really itchy it also seems to have this weird pimple like spot but it could just be skin. The rash goes around half of my pubic region and the other half out past the intersection of pubic area and leg. Someone help, should I see a doc? AAAAAAhhhh
    ZERO

• Advertising

(Josh)

Default Re: Strange rash around the base of my penis

i would have said to let it go for a while and see if it clears up, but the way you said that it has spread makes it a lot more serious. if you think it may be ringworm, you should go to the doctor so you can have something perscribed. do you think it could be some type of sexually transmited disease?

Get some antifungal cream that will cure ringworm. If that doesn't work, call up a doctor.

Never been sexually active.
    ZERO

"Ringworm" can indeed infect that area - only when it does, it's known as "jock itch." But it's the same thing - a fungus infection. This same fungus ("tinea") also commonly infects another area - the feet/toes - where it is known as "athlete's foot."

As my signature says, I'm not a doctor, and even a doctor couldn't diagnose you over the Internet. But based on what you've said I think jock itch is probably the most likely thing you're dealing with here. I recommend you check out the following site (which includes a picture of jock itch) and if this seems to match what you think you have, you could try using that product or some other similar anti-fungal product according to the package directions to see if it helps. These products can easily be purchased at any drugstore or Walmart etc. and usually need to be applied daily for about two to four weeks.

http://www.tinactin.com/wyg/jockitch.html

Another possibility if it is not jock itch is an irritation from shaving. That can sometimes lead to boils and/or even ingrown hairs (which might be what's going on in the "pimple like spot" you've noticed. I'd just wait and see if that goes away on its own within a week or so the way most other pimples do.

If you don't think this looks like jock itch, and/or this continues to be a problem that gets worse, or doesn't go away within a few weeks, I'd recommend getting it checked out by a doctor. Some infections and problems of this nature require treatment with stronger (prescription) medications.
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Thread Information