Penguin i think im dehydrated

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    my friend told me before about how he got dehydrated and had to go to the hospital. he said he threw up everything, and thats happening to me. i've thrown up 3 times in the last like 3 hours, i cant keep anything down, and im really thirsty. i looked up dehydration on the internet and i think i have it. did anyone ever get it before?? can u tell me what it was like or what you can do?? thanks.

• Advertising

Default Re: i think im dehydrated

Dehydration will make you feel sick, but it also usually makes you very woozy, do you feel that?

If it IS dehydration can be VERY serious and even life threatening in the most severe cases, and you just need to drink as much as you can, but make it water, NOT orange juice or anything containing citrus because that will only make it worse, and generally just stay sat down (Suffolk talk there) and not do anything physical, try and get cool if you're hot, and just keep pumping water into you.

Weigh yourself. Are you more than a pound or two under your normal weight? That could be a clue if so.

Just having a lot of vomiting doesn't in and of itself mean dehydration. It's the other way around - you can GET dehydrated BECAUSE you've been doing a lot of vomiting, because you can't keep those liquids down.

As a practical matter right now, I would just say make sure your parents are aware of what's going on with you. Parents are usually good judges of when this sort of thing is getting serious. And because you are "really thirsty" I would recommend trying to drink some water or other liquids. You might even try having some crackers and soup (it doesn't matter what kind of soup). The crackers might be an easier form of solid to keep down, and soup is usually salty and that will help replace some sodium, which you might also be low on due to the vomiting.

If vomiting persists more than a day or two you ought to get checked out by a doctor.
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

If you're vomitting that much and it doesn't resolve within a couple of hours, you should visit an ED, you may be dehydrated and should have IV fluids to replenish what you've lost.

also, do you have any idea of the underlying cause of the vomitting? dehydration is a symptom (a very serious one!), not a disease itself.
    I'm a medical student.
    I'm not a doctor.
    Any advice I give is general only, and you can't seriously expect anyone on an online forum to diagnose you or give real medical advice.
    See a doctor. That's the only way you can get a real answer about you and your situation.

That said, I'll try to help out in answering general medical questions where I can.

(Andreas)

In order to keep yourself from being dehydrated, try taking in little amounts of water or soda ever 15 minutes, We usually tell patients to have a teaspoon every 15 minutes for the whole day. It's enough to keep you from getting dehydrated, and at the same time, not so much that it will cause you to vomit. The number one mistake most people make is they start drinking a ton because they are worried about getting dehydrated, but then they just puke it all back up. So try only drinking little bits of water with some time inbetween

Signs of Dehydration include:
    Decreased capilary refill *Press on your fingernail until it turns white and then let go. It should only take a few seconds for it to become red again*
    Decreased Urination. Normally decreased means that you only go once in like 1-2 days.
    Urine that is "Apple Cider or Coke" colored. Your urine will become almost dark brown and have a very strong oder.
    Lightheadedness *Although this might also be due to vomiting*

If you have any of these symptoms, you should probably go see a doctor and get started on IVs. Note that the stomach flu is a widespread problem during this time of year, so it will probably be gone in a few days. Just follow the advice above and it will keep you from getting dehydrated.
    Disclaimer: I am a Medical Assistant and Athletic Training Student at Boise State University. I do often ask my dad, who is a licenced, Board Certified Pediatrician, about topics that I respond to and I state when I do, but in doubt, always see YOUR OWN Doctor.

(Kevin)
    Banned

Hmm... I'm not sure if this stays so well in topic but I remember one evening and night when I was ill and kept vomitting and crapping all the time. I think I started it at late afternoon and even in the night I couldn't drink anything at all, because it resulted vomitting it all out during the next 3 minutes. That was seriously the most horrible night in my life because I felt all the time that I'm dying or something, was really thirsty and things like that. Didn't go to doctor although it would have been the wisest thing to do. Then, I was able to drink the next day and I started eating little bit the day after that. Lost several pounds in weight and such things, all that I want to say is that go to see doctor if you feel that bad. I learned it also myself that the next time I'm not staying at home if I feel that sick.

(Alex)

If i feel dehydrated, i have a very dry mouth and throat, i have a screaming headache, i have no energy, and i feel dizzy.

Dont gulp down water. Gently keep sipping water so u dont puke it back up again.

Did anyone know dehydration is the biggest cause of Apendicitis?? Drink!
    Work like you don't need the money.
    Love like you've never been hurt.
    Dance like nobody is watching.

Gov little brother - Thatsme
    Gov Best Friend - Curls
    Gov 'LOL' parents - Jaden & Yorkie (dont ask, i had no say in the matter, considering Social Services)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fantastic
    I was about to say that I know a tolerable gay guy that I don't want to fuck, but then I remembered that no, I do want to fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOWFAN
    You cant control what your dreaming. One time I had a wet dream that I was fucking a pig

Quote Originally Posted by thatsme on MSN
    I like older men

Quote Originally Posted by Jaden
    If they'd kick you out for being gay or not being christian why would you want to be part of the Hitler You... Boy Scouts of America, anyway?

Isn't it pretty obvious? :\

Drink water!

(Josh)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallin4him View Post
    my friend told me before about how he got dehydrated and had to go to the hospital. he said he threw up everything, and thats happening to me. i've thrown up 3 times in the last like 3 hours, i cant keep anything down, and im really thirsty. i looked up dehydration on the internet and i think i have it. did anyone ever get it before?? can u tell me what it was like or what you can do?? thanks.

what you want to do is drink liquids but do it slowly in small amounts, if you just gulp down a glass really fast your body will reject it so go slow and that should solve your problem

(Bill)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

A few signs:

Orange/yellow urine
    Nausea
    Difficulty moving your toes/fingers
    Thirst (=D)
    Light-headedness
    and if your eyes hurt a little bit
    If I was Bob Marley I said could you be loved
    If I was half pint I'd ball the lord up above
    If I was Mike Tyson I'd look for a fight
    If I was a BoomtownRats I would be stayin up all night
    If I was the king Ad-Rock i would get stupid dumb
    If rhymes were valiums, I'd be comfortably numb

(Bill)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by AstraGSI View Post
    ...Did anyone know dehydration is the biggest cause of Apendicitis?? Drink!
    Makes your poo really dry, so it gets stuck in the appendix. Matter of fact, I think my appendix is infected. Another trip to the ER...
    If I was Bob Marley I said could you be loved
    If I was half pint I'd ball the lord up above
    If I was Mike Tyson I'd look for a fight
    If I was a BoomtownRats I would be stayin up all night
    If I was the king Ad-Rock i would get stupid dumb
    If rhymes were valiums, I'd be comfortably numb

Thread Information