(ryan)

Question Injection position

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    I am just curious why some doctors prefer to take injection on your bum and whys some prefer the arm? according to my knowledge,your blood flows around your body within 30 minutes thus there really arn't a big difference.
    MY account will be progressing to retirement mode after some 8 years of service. I won't be checking into govteen as frequently as I used to. If you want alternative modes of keeping in touch please PM me.

rebellious_teen22@hotmail.com is not my regular account, so adding me would be futile.

• Advertising

Default Re: Injection position

well some doctors are gay and like to see peoples bums....

but na probly not true... i have no idea!! ive never had an injection in ma ass!! lol

(AJ)

I think it depends on the size of the injection and what it is for. when i had a tetanus shot it was in the arm. but for strep throat as a kid i had to get large penicillin shots and those were always in the buttocks...no fun!

I'm not altogether sure about this myself, but I believe that it has to do with the fact that injections are administered in different ways. For example, some are simple "subcutaneous" (under the skin) while others are "intramuscular" (need to be injected directly into the muscle tissue). How they are given depends on the medicine - because they absorb into the system at different rates depending on how/where they are administered. My guess is that those "in the butt" injections are ones that need to be administered intramuscularly - and, well, the butt provides one of the larger and more easily accessed muscular targets in the whole body - the gluteus maximus muscle.
    WWJD - What WOULD Jesus do? Read Matthew, chapters 5-7 in the Bible - and find out now!

Disclaimer: I am NOT a medical professional and my posts should be considered layman's advice only. When in doubt see your doctor. Also please note: Due to personal policy and time limitations, I have set my profile options to accept messages from GovTeen Staff only. I regret any inconvenience this may cause.

(Vikki)

The glutes are the biggest muscle in the body, so it only makes sense they'd inject there if they wanted it straight into a muscle. The only ones I've ever had there were ones we had to have before going to Africa, I don't know what for, but it was to protect against some diseases or other.
    Others that can be done intravenously (in your arm), are. It's not like they think, 'right, so, Mr. Wilson's coming in for his annual flu jab this week, where shall we inject him this time ?'.
    Next time you go to the supermarket, fill your trolley with booze - vodka, whisky, gin, whatever you want, fill it, and just before you get to the till put in a pack of nappies. Once they've tilled it through and tell you the price, pretend like you don't have quite enough money and put the nappies back. They'll look at you like you're scum, it's brilliant.

(Jason)

id have to ask my mom..shes a nurse. but id say its bc there is more umm muscle and even fat there so it doesnt hurt as much..
    eStrong
    www.LAF.Org www.wearyellow.com

(())
    //\\

http://www.jdf.org/

(Andreas)

kid i had to get large penicillin shots and those were always in the buttocks...no fun!
    It was Rocephin not Penicillin. They call in the Peanut Butter shot, cuz it's just that thick. But anyway, Onto the question

Honestly, Any shot can be given anywhere. Just a lot of the times, the bigger the muscle the better the injection will work. For example. For the Rocephin Shot, like stated above, It's a shot that will tend to make a small muscle VERY sore for MANY DAYS because the shot is Intramuscular and is absorbed by the muscle, then into the bloodstream. Same with the tetnus shot, which is also INtramuscular BUT doesn't need quite as big of a muscle, That is why when you get a tetnus shot, It hurts like hell the next day if you don't use the arm much. *IE I went golfing the day i got mine and it didn't hurt at all the next day cuz i used the muscle a lot and got the immunzation out of there faster*. Subcutatious, Below the skin like christain said, Just needs to be anywhere. As long as it breaks the skin it will work. You could do it in the bottom of your foot if you wanted to, and it would work. So it all just depends on the type of shot.
    Disclaimer: I am a Medical Assistant and Athletic Training Student at Boise State University. I do often ask my dad, who is a licenced, Board Certified Pediatrician, about topics that I respond to and I state when I do, but in doubt, always see YOUR OWN Doctor.

(Zain)

I remember when I injured my arm as a kid, I had to get a tetanus shot on the bum. After reading Andreas post I realize why it wouldn't stop hurting for three days after that.

Lover of cold brewskies

(Janine)

i remember when m skin was so bad i had to have injections in my bum ouch it hurt i was in so much agony at the time never mind that but yeah depends what for etc
    23/f/NZ/in a relationship and looking for a job, unemployed. now studying certificate in ECE ( early childhood education)
    Used to be known as Janine

(Nathan)

some docs dont want you to sit down for ages

i honestly dont know - but i always get them in my arm, blind folded of course (im scared of needles)
    R.I.P Rhianna Alyce Bridget BERTONE
    21st February 1991 - 13th April 2007
    Laid to rest: 12:50pm 20th April 2007

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Custom face by Brad (Evolution).

Yeah the reason is due to the type of injection and the thickness of the solution that's being injected.

It's not just a matter of injecting into the blood (as you seem to be confused about). This only happens in intravenous injections, which involve finding a blood vessel to inject into. The two most common types of injections for vaccinations are intramuscular (injected into the muscle) and subcutaneous (under the skin into the superficial fascia/fat). Both of these injections do get into the blood eventually, but they are absorbed differently - the exact reason why there are different types of injections.

The top of the arm is a good place for most injections, as there is a very big muslce there (the deltoid muscle) for intramuscular, and normally a decent amount of fat for subcutaneous injections.

Sometimes you need an injection that is very 'thick' or requires a large amount to be injected. For these injections the buttock (the biggest muscle in the body - gluteus maximus) is chosen for the site, and it's actually to reduce pain for the patient.

Some other reasons may be that a patient has small deltoid muscles, the patient is young, or if a patient is afraid of needles it can be a good idea to lie him/her down, which can make gluteal injections easier than deltoid injections.

I hope that helped a little bit

(ryan)

Quote Originally Posted by d_bomb View Post
    Yeah the reason is due to the type of injection and the thickness of the solution that's being injected.

It's not just a matter of injecting into the blood (as you seem to be confused about). This only happens in intravenous injections, which involve finding a blood vessel to inject into. The two most common types of injections for vaccinations are intramuscular (injected into the muscle) and subcutaneous (under the skin into the superficial fascia/fat). Both of these injections do get into the blood eventually, but they are absorbed differently - the exact reason why there are different types of injections.

The top of the arm is a good place for most injections, as there is a very big muslce there (the deltoid muscle) for intramuscular, and normally a decent amount of fat for subcutaneous injections.

Sometimes you need an injection that is very 'thick' or requires a large amount to be injected. For these injections the buttock (the biggest muscle in the body - gluteus maximus) is chosen for the site, and it's actually to reduce pain for the patient.

Some other reasons may be that a patient has small deltoid muscles, the patient is young, or if a patient is afraid of needles it can be a good idea to lie him/her down, which can make gluteal injections easier than deltoid injections.

I hope that helped a little bit
    Interesting and thank you
    MY account will be progressing to retirement mode after some 8 years of service. I won't be checking into govteen as frequently as I used to. If you want alternative modes of keeping in touch please PM me.

rebellious_teen22@hotmail.com is not my regular account, so adding me would be futile.

Thread Information