Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another EVE Online thread

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Default Another EVE Online thread

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    I had a pretty awesome day today in EVE. It was my first day participating in nullsec (player-owned sovereignty space where very large alliances and coalitions rule) player vs. player fleets. Here's some screenshots.

These are all lifted directly from the game. All of the pictures except for one has the user interface removed so that all the shiny and pretty graphics can be seen.

Sometimes in nullsec one has to travel great distances, and for moving very large fleets from one place to another there's no ship that does it better than the Titan. A Titan (like the Avatar class Amarrian Titan shown here) has the ability to fit a module that can project a portal that any ship in the fleet can use to travel very large distances in nullsec without having to use stargates which are more limited in range and easier to defend.

A small part of our massive fleet, here showing mostly Drakes and a lone Hurricane, all battlecruiser-sized hulls. We're awaiting instructions from the Fleet Commander (FC).

The fighting begins! A Player Owned Starbase (POS) is a major asset to a corporation or alliance as it improves their capability to do just about anything - from manufacturing, to industry, to establishing alternate jump gate routes between the stars or preventing enemies from jumping directly into your system. The most prominent feature of a POS is the Control Tower, seen at right with anchored modules around it.

The enemy decided they had enough of us blowing up their shit, so a large number of pilots from most major nullsec alliances in the game joined fleets to duke it out over a contested system. This is a close-up view of the resulting battle.

Somewhat further away...

And even further away, showing a significant portion (maybe even most) of the battle. The numbers in "local" chat shown on the right hand side, vertically towards the middle, shows the battle near its peak at 1900 players in the system simultaneously, vying for control.
    This picture shows you the user interface to give you an idea how much the player has to manage in these engagements.

EVE is a great game. No joke.

• Advertising

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Default Re: Another EVE Online thread

Oh wow. Can you move this to GovGaming? It was obviously meant to be in there. PlsKThx.

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Bump so people see it.

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Nobody?

(Brian)
    My Diaries
    ( 1 2 3 )

I honestly never heard of it till now. I just looked it up and it seems...complicated.

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Yeah, it is pretty complicated, but that's part of what makes it fun to me. I like having this sandbox world where there aren't really any game rules to protect you: it's free for all and it doesn't hold your hand. Plus it's an MMO in a single universe on a single server - it's not split up into separate servers like WoW is. That means that when you log on to see that 30,000 other people are playing, they're flying through the same star systems you are, playing the exact same game, and their actions can influence what happens to you and vice-versa.

The Dramiel is the flagship frigate of the Angel Cartel criminal faction, and is the most feared frigate in EVE Online. Its speed and agility are almost unparalleled. Plus it just looks fierce.

The Legion is the Amarr variant of the four Strategic Cruisers, a type of modular ship capable of reconfiguring to fit almost any role. They tend to be quite expensive. This one was my pride and joy... until it got blown up by some not very nice people.

The Avatar titan is HUGE. This single ship is just over 14 kilometers in length. The Titans are the largest ships in the game, and are considered to be one of the pinnacles of the game (although many will disagree, most people in fact don't really want to fly one or have the means to even if they could). They're intended to be fleet support and logistics vessels, but they also pack major firepower and defensive capabilities. They are the only ships in the game capable of using the Jump Portal Generator (capable of bridging vast distances of space for the other ships in its fleet to cross without traveling conventionally), and the Doomsday Device weapons, which are extremely powerful weapons capable of inflicting massive damage on other capital ships.

Dreadnoughts are another kind of capital ship. Dreadnoughts and carriers are considered standard capital ships, while supercarriers and titans are considered to be "supercaps" or supercapital ships. Dreadnoughts have the ability to fit a siege module which greatly increases the ship's damage output and defensive capability. The downside of this is, once the siege module is activated it cannot be deactivated until it completes its cycle, during which the ship cannot move or be assisted by fleet mates. Ergo, unless you know what you're doing, this is a really great way to screw yourself over royally. Especially on a ship that costs over 2 billion ISK.

The fleet is assembled and waiting for the bridge to be made.

The Drake is a Caldari battlecruiser, capable of bombarding targets at long range with its heavy missile launchers. It's probably the single most used combat ship in the game due to its versatility, passive defensive capability, and range. I don't fly this very often because my skills aren't focused in Caldari ships, but the alliance I fly with requires me to be able to fly it in fleet ops, so I do.

I just about had a heart attack when I saw this, frankly. The red on the overview are enemy ships. The Thanatos, Archons, and Nidhoggurs are all carriers (Gallente, Amarr, and Minmatar respectively), capable of tearing our fleet to shreds in a matter of minutes. We didn't stay here long.
    (They were also at least 150 km away from us as you can see, so neither of us would have really been able to hit each other in all likelihood.

(Brian)
    My Diaries
    ( 1 2 3 )

How long did it take you to understand all of that? haha

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

The interface? I'm still learning really. I know what most of the interface does for stuff that's relevant to what I do. I'm always finding new features in there. The overview is particularly complicated, since that is basically where the majority of your tactical information comes from. It has hundreds of options for customization so that you can get the right information delivered to you in the way you need it to be.

(Marc)
    Sir Marcus Aelius; Atheist Praefectus of GovTeen Member Aelius's Avatar

EVE may look complicated, and it is, but just a few hours of playing the tutorials and asking a friend for help (or using the in-game help chat) will teach you the fundamentals and make the whole thing a lot less daunting. There is absolutely no contest among MMOs when it comes to how incredibly detailed and in-depth the game is; EVE takes the cake.

(Ethan)
    I like Trains Moderator Wunderbar's Avatar

I have played the trial, and personal i do not think it is a game worth paying for, it was just no fun, it almost seemed like a job.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary,that's what gets you"
    -Jeremy Clarkson

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
    - Winston Churchill

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderbar View Post
    I have played the trial, and personal i do not think it is a game worth paying for, it was just no fun, it almost seemed like a job.
    Were you mining?

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Two videos, from yours truly!

Avatars in 100kbs or less. :/ Member Nyarlathotep's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Neat, it looks like an MMO version of X3.

(Brandon)

I need to try the game again. Although I can't get over how they've wasted the best designed character creator ever. Beautiful game, though.
    "Don't confront me with my failures.
    I have not forgotten them."

(Robert)
    lol wut Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
    I need to try the game again. Although I can't get over how they've wasted the best designed character creator ever. Beautiful game, though.
    The character creator is relatively new and work still continues on it. Eventually we will have walking in stations (with other characters and such). At the moment however the community is kind of divided as to how much resources they think CCP should place on this kind of gameplay development. I personally don't view it as very high priority... this is after all a game that focuses around spaceships.

But yeah, it is most definitely one of the best character creators around. Here are three of my characters, although the first is really the only one I use at the moment:

Neverender likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast