(Marina)

Default itchy...down there...

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    so yea, the title explains it all. for the past week, i have been EXTREMELY itchy on the inside of my inner labia and right outside my vagina. this has only happened twice (this is the 2nd time it's happened). well, i told my mom about it the first time since it was driving me crazy, and she said it's just hormonal, then gave me this itchy cream which works miracles and gets rid of the itch. well after the first time i believed that it was hormonal because after a week of itching, i started my period. once my period came, the itch went away and i no longer needed to use the cream.

just like the first time, after a week of itching the 2nd time, i then started my period today, but i have been having my period since i was 10, so why am i just now getting itchy before i start? also, it didn't burn when i pee'd the first time and it didn't burn this week up until today. like yea the itch cream settles down the itching, but after a good 12 hours or so the cream wears off. what is all this itching, and how can i get rid of it, and why does it all of a sudden burn when i pee? my mom told me to cut back on the sugar the week before my period, and then my hormones won't react so drastically and it will stop the itching, but i don't know...

like i did some research on different types of itching down there, but i'm having trouble knowing which one i have. i'm not swollen, i'm just red down there, and itchy when it happens. and i'm starting to get really scared because i think i might have ripped a part of my inner labia from scratching down there so hard. will this go away now that i started my period? please no sarcasm guys, this is really uncomfortable to deal with and i don't need rude remarks or answers. *also, i'm really sorry for this being so long*

• Advertising

Default Re: itchy...down there...

According to this website, the itching is most likely caused by thrush. There is more detailed information about thrush here.

Thrush is a fungal infection caused by Candida albicans. About 1 woman in 5 has Candida in her vagina without it causing any symptoms. Hormones in the vaginal secretions and the ‘friendly’ vaginal bacteria keep it at bay. But problems can arise when this natural balance becomes upset, and the Candida multiplies.
    Thrush does not always cause a discharge – the main symptom is itching or soreness, and this gets worse in the week before a period. If there is a discharge, it is usually only slight, does not smell and looks like cottage cheese.
    Since it says that woman can have thrush without it causing any symptoms, perhaps the natural balance of bacteria in your vagina was disrupted the two times that you have had the itching.

How do you know if you have thrush?
    There are three main symptoms of thrush.
    • The commonest symptom of thrush is itching and/or soreness around the entrance of the vagina (vulva). The soreness means that you have a stinging sensation when you pass urine and that sex is uncomfortable.
    • There may also be a thick, whitish discharge (like cottage cheese), or a watery discharge. The discharge does not smell unpleasant.
    • The vulval area looks red, there may be cracks in the skin and the vaginal lips (labia) are often swollen.
    So, the itching, the burning sensation when you urinate, and the redness are all symptoms of thrush. However, these symptoms are also common to other infections, but it's likely that you have thrush.

In order to treat thrush, there are creams, pessaries, and oral treatments, some of which don't require a prescription. It's quite possible that the cream that your mom gave you is to treat thrush. The website I linked you to has more information about the medications used to treat thrush. You can also go to your doctor and have a swab taken and they will be able to determine if you actually do have thrush.

If the itching's worse before your period, it may subside once you get your period, but you should still try treating yourself for thrush or see a doctor, because you may experience the itching again next month before your period.

(Marina)

well i talked to a friend of mine who has been working with an OBGYN because she wants to become one and she told me it might be thrush too. the itching and burning definately stopped when i started my period (the burning was only for one day) and my friend said the reason why i was burning was because i had some type of cut down there that was irritated by my urine, causing the burn. she said the cut was probably from scratching so much, and that to keep away the burning, i should cut back on the sugar & caffeine, and drink more water.

i also talked to her about the slight disconnection in my inner labia, and she said that that could have either resulted from the scratching or from just natural causes. it doesn't bother me really, like it doesn't hurt-it's just different looking and i want it to go back to normal (but i doubt that will happen), and like i said, the itching is gone now that i'm on my period, but how can i keep the thrush away forever? is my only answer the cream? because i have cream and stuff, but it's annoying to have to apply it so much in one day. i hate hormones and growing up...it's so awkward knowing that i need to scratch down there constantly when i'm not a boy!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyluvr View Post
    but how can i keep the thrush away forever? is my only answer the cream?
    If you have thrush, it will be in the vagina as well as on the skin of the vulva, so it's important that you treat both. An anti-thrush cream will help with the bacteria on the vulva and an anti-thrush pessary (a lump of anti-thrush medication that is inserted into the vagina) will help with the bacteria in the vagina.

If after completing treatment using both a cream and a pessary, the thrush still comes back, you should see a doctor and have it checked out to make sure you actually have thrush and that you're treating yourself for the right thing. Although if an anti-thrush cream is helping, then you most likely do have thrush, but it's best to double check. At this time, you could also ask about an oral treatment, which is usually only prescribed for thrush that keeps on coming back.

From the website that I previously linked to. These are things that they recommend people who have recurring thrush to do.

Look after yourself. It is crucial to make life as difficult as possible for the Candida yeasts, so take a look at our list of ‘Commonsense dos and don’ts’ for anyone with a vaginal or vulval problem. Avoid anything that might irritate the vulva, such as bubble baths, perfumed soaps, vaginal deodorants and douches. For sex, use a lubricant to lessen the chance of damage to the vulva and vagina.

Keep the vulval area dry. Candida yeasts like warm, moist places so dry carefully after bathing or showering. Avoid tight fitting or synthetic-fibre knickers – choose cotton.

Avoid long courses of antibiotics. The longer a course of antibiotics, the more likely it will lead to thrush. So if you need antibiotics, ask your doctor if a short course would be appropriate.

Natural remedies. If your recurrences are predictable, try a natural remedy to ward it off. For example, if your thrush usually comes before a period, on days 21–24 of your cycle, you could try a natural remedy starting on day 18. But remember that you can get a reaction to a natural remedy as easily as to a cream from the chemist, so stop straight away if that happens. Here are some popular natural remedies.
    • Tea tree oil is another possibility. Dilute 20 drops or tea tree oil in half a cup of water, soak a tampon in this liquid and then insert it into the vagina. Change it as frequently as you would a normal tampon.
    • Buy some 9% acetic acid gel (Aci-Jel) from a pharmacy. It comes with its own applicator.
    Do not bother trying a yeast-free or sugar-free diet. There is no evidence at all that these diets have any effect.

Ask your doctor about oral treatment. A 7-day or 14-day course of an anti-thrush drug taken by mouth (oral treatment) may deal with the Candida yeasts more thoroughly. After that, you could use the pessaries in the vagina once or twice a month to prevent the problem returning.
    Oral treatments may have side effects, and are unsuitable if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

Consider long-term medication if you are having many troublesome recurrences. Your doctor can prescribe oral treatment, which is usually taken once a week. After 6 months, you stop the treatment and wait and see if the thrush returns (New England Journal of Medicine 2004;351:876–83). However, taking a prescription drug regularly for a condition that is not seriously hazardous to your health is a big decision. It is not suitable if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Discuss all the pros and cons very carefully with your doctor, and go for it only if your symptoms are really distressing.

Thread Information