Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default STDs and blood donation?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    If you give blood I have heard that they have to Test it for AIDS and stuff. do they test for STDs also? if they do do they tell you? wouldnt that be a good way to find out if you have STDs and not have to pay for testig. One of my friends wants to get tested but she doent want to go to a clinic so I thought maybe that would be a good solution.

• Advertising

(Hayley)

Default Re: STDs and blood donation?

They don't test it before you donate. You answer a (quite lengthy) questionnaire about your medical history, recent travel, and other things that might affect the quality of your blood. You have to sign off on it saying that you do not, in fact, have any of the diseases listed. Then you get to actually donate.

I'm sure they test your blood afterwards, but I don't know whether or not they would inform you that your blood has been rejected. They might just not let you donate again and not say why.

Just go to a clinic. It's the only reliable, legal way.

They do not test you for STDs and other such diseases beforehand, you fill out this really long form that asks about pretty much everything to do with your current health and medical history. Then you donate your blood and then they screen it for any sort disease or condition that they don't want to be passed on to someone else. If they find something wrong with your blood they will simply reject it and it will thrown away, though depending on where you live, they may or may not inform you why, if at all.

P.S, only donate in a legal blood donation clinic, for your own safety and for whoever will be receiving the blood.
    Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell. ~Macbeth

they test your blood for stds before giving it to someone, yes. do they inform you if it has been rejected? no. go to a clinic. they aren't there to judge. they will take some blood and have it tested. it's the best way. you don't need to waste a blood centers money and time by just donating blood to find out if you have an std. If she wants to donate blood that's fine. but I would tell her to go to a clinic before doing so.

(Unkownn)

Speaking of this, if you ever go into hostipal for an operation etc. Sometimes you see them take a few vials of blood (in the UK at least) This is because they do random tests for HIV/AIDS. No they dont let the person know as they are anoymous tests. They do them to find out all those statistics about how many people in the country has a STD
    22 - Male - UK - Gay
    The Problem is Choice.

(James)

I'm actually going to disagree with the majority. Pending on where you give blood/what organization, I am near positive that they would inform you of the blood's rejection and suggest that you never give blood again. I'm near positive that the Red Cross does that.
    Onurb has been working in Broadcast News/Sports since May 2010. He shares his knowledge and expertise on his own merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    I'm actually going to disagree with the majority. Pending on where you give blood/what organization, I am near positive that they would inform you of the blood's rejection and suggest that you never give blood again. I'm near positive that the Red Cross does that.
    Yes, but I personally think that it would be better to go to a clinic where they could tell you what is wrong(if anything) and what the treatment is. And as i said before it would be wasting the organizations money and time when you just need to find out if you have an std. It would be best to get tested at a clinic. And they would tell you if they found anything so you wouldn't try to donate again.

(Hayley)

If they do in fact warn you about any health conditions you were unaware of, it'll be way down the line, though. When you walk out the front door after donating, you won't be any more aware of potential STDs in your bloodstream as when you walked in. It could take ages until they actually screen and process your blood. It's not worth all the worrying and waiting for a phone call that might never come.

Basically, it's just easier to go to a clinic. It's the quickest, most painless way, and it what they're there for.

(Jen)

I agree with Sharpie Marker. If you or someone you know is concerned that they may have an STD, the only way to find out FOR SURE is to go get tested. If they donate blood, how will they know that they are clean? The only way they will know that they have an STD is IF someone calls them a few months down the line and informs them. But if that call never comes, they still won't know.

Not to mention the fact that not all STDs are detected via blood screening. Many STDs are detected via a swab of the genitals that is sent for processing. None of those STDs would be detected by this roundabout way you are thinking of.
    "He lay on his bed at night listening to the silver light of stars crashing against the window screen" -- Anne Carson

Words

When you donate blood, your blood is tested for HIV and other diseases that can be spread through the blood, such as Hepatitis. It is not, however, tested for diseases that can't be transmitted by blood, such as herpes. An STD test is the best course of action to make sure you and your partner do not have STDs.
    hehe
    p101 moderator

(Andrew)

they test you for like everything. I mean, if someone has a blood disease and they give their blood to someone who's already dying, it's really not gonna do much good is it?

(.)
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nanotron View Post
    Speaking of this, if you ever go into hostipal for an operation etc. Sometimes you see them take a few vials of blood (in the UK at least) This is because they do random tests for HIV/AIDS. No they dont let the person know as they are anoymous tests. They do them to find out all those statistics about how many people in the country has a STD
    That seems odd to me.

In the Uk when you give blood you do a form and sign it. Than you do an anermia test, than you get 3 viles taken which are tested for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B and C i think. Than you give the pint of blood. They test the viles before they give your blood to anyone and if you are infected with diesease they have scanned for they will inform you within 2 weeks. Your blood would than either be disposed of or more likely given for medical causes for the diesease. If they fail to tell you than to me that would amount to criminal negligence.

(Hayley)

In the US (at least in Jersey when you're giving a double unit and plasma, which is all Ive ever done), they don't take any separate vials. They take a small pouch hooked up to the tubing and fill it with blood (which I assume is what they use to screen for disease). Then they cut off the blood flow into the tube, detach the pouch, and reroute the blood into the aspheresis machine. Then you donate and are on your way.

Nowhere in the paperwork that you sing does it say that they will inform you if they find any contaminants in your blood. They aren't by law required to tell you.

Yeah i agree I think that i have heard that some where before.
    19, Male.

Quote Originally Posted by f5660 View Post
    If you give blood I have heard that they have to Test it for AIDS and stuff. do they test for STDs also? if they do do they tell you? wouldnt that be a good way to find out if you have STDs and not have to pay for testig. One of my friends wants to get tested but she doent want to go to a clinic so I thought maybe that would be a good solution.
    I actually donated blood about a month and a half ago with the Red Cross. They do test the blood for a wide scope of things, and took 4 - 6 little vials of samples to be tested. It's too much of a liability to put blood that very well could contain a wide range of things into someone else's body, especially those who are ill or recovering. They test for things like Syphilis, HIV, Gonorrhea, etc. If you have something they'd let you know within 4 - 5 weeks.

Also, in response to what someone above said, it's true. They will ban you from giving blood forever if you have something like HIV.
    16 - M - Gay - NY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information