Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: French people or those who speak French

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Quote Originally Posted by 94dan View Post
    It's a love/hate relationship England and France, we love them, they love us, but we hate them and they hate us too.
    Do you forget that England isn't the only country in the UK that learn french.
    "Language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly" - Kató Lomb, one of the world's first simultaneous interpreters.

• Advertising

Je pense que la langue francais est tres belle et sexy!
    In the nighttime, when the world is at its rest, you will find me, in the place I know the best...

The best way I learnt French was by the Rosetta Stone software. Then I went onto the grammar which, though was difficult, was still learnable thanks to the Rosetta Stone method.

To help you understand it better, here is a good site: Why French Grammar is Hard | Jennie n'est plus en France

Frankly, I found English very easy, especially the grammar. But learning Punjabi and Urdu was not easy at all. But when recently in Delhi I managed to get by on the basics, even a little Hindi was helpful when getting a taxi.

It's all about how much one wants to learn, be it French or some other language. Once learnt, rarely forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet'aime081210 View Post
    So I have a question.. I have noticed that we who speak French.. at least with my friends.. hate everything to do with English. They hate learning it, seeing it, etc. So what is your opinion??

(Thomas)
    Ultimate Supreme Executive Member TheMatrix's Avatar

I'm taking French 1-2, if that counts

So I have a question.. I have noticed that we who speak French.. at least with my friends.. hate everything to do with English. They hate learning it, seeing it, etc. So what is your opinion??
    This is rather funny as everyone I know, except for myself (I love the French language), hates learning French. Most people just hate learning a foreign language. English is particularly hard, as well.

(Jean-Baptiste)

If you want to live in my province Québec (Canada) I think you must learn French because it's the only official language here. However, most people can understand English so it's not a problem if you come as a tourist.
    Even though French is one of the 2 official language in Canada, you find lot of French speaking people only in Québec and in the province of New-Brunswick. The province of New-Brunswick is the only province with 2 official language (English and French). In Québec, French is the only official language and in the 8 others province English is the official language.

Most English/American people don't like to learn French or any foreign language, because English is the dominant language and most people on this earth are able to understand or speak it. That's why some people think that it's useless to learn French...but in Canada, if you want to work for the federal government you must be able to speak English and French.

French is only speak by 64 million French people, less than 10 million Canadians, in Belgium, in Luxemburg, in a part of Switzerland and in some African countries. Even Spanish is more speaking than French. Nevertheless, French and English are sometimes quite similar, with the Norman invasion in 1066 French was even the official language in England during 300 years.

(Andrew)

This is my fifth year of taking french, it's not too bad but the grammar is so simple that it's hard for me. I know that's completely opposite but english is a very complicated language and french is so easy.
    19/gay/USA

"Don't underestimated stupid people in large numbers..."

(Alexis)

Hi from Paris, France... Any other Frenchy here ?

(jacques)

je parle un petit peu le francais

(Richard)
    You either love me or hate me.. Member rickoslyder's Avatar

I recently moved to a school in France (boarding for the last year, day for the next two years) and well I honestly dislike French. I want to learn it ASAP, and think it would be a good language to learn considering that not only do I live in Europe but I have African origins too, but it's a really hard language to master - the amount of little rules it has is amazing. Don't believe me? Check out the About.com page for learning French..
    "There's zero correlation between being the best talker and having the best ideas."

Richard /
    Black / 15 / Straight / Irish / Dublin, Ireland + Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyJ View Post
    my dad says when he was growing up TVs didn't have remotes, and some TVs didn't have color. Why would they make a TV that didn't have a remote or didn't have color? nobody would use a TV like that!
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Teenagers being stubborn. Within this age group, most (I won't say all) are lazy when it comes to school. At school, I think it is pretty hard to say that a foreign language is one of, if not the, hardest subjects to take. French and English are two very different two languages too. At my school, people enjoy German because it's similar to English and so we pick things up faster. Similarly, it wouldn't surprise me if those of you in France would find learning another Latin language, such as Spanish or Italian, easier than English.

I love learning French though, but being and speaking English I cannot say that I hate the language. Haha.

Does anyone here know any good French artists/songs? I asked in a separate thread, but got little in the way of responses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123