Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What was the last film you saw (and what did you think about it)? [READ FIRST POST]

(Ewan)

Default What was the last film you saw (and what did you think about it)? [READ FIRST POST]

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Okay, so! I closed the old one because it was getting very large, and also so I could make a new one with some appropriate rules. The last one had lots and lots of spam posts in it, lines which didn't really say anything other than "I watched this film" (which, as per the last thread, was fine but not really a good thing).

For an example of very good posts and posts I'd like to see in this new thread see any of the posts made by FlyingKiwi (Leo) and Ultros.

I've reproduced some of their posts in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Three more low-ish budget horrors this week:

April Fool's Day - This is a remake, although I haven't seen the original as far as I can remember. Basically a load of crap; terrible acting, completely unsympathetic characters, unoriginal scares and fake looking special effects. To cap it all off, the ending was absolutely terrible. I'd give it a 3/10 on the basis that some of the visual effects were decent, although not great.

The Burrowers - This is a Wild West themed horror film about your fairly traditional underground dwelling monsters that drag people to their deaths. A bit of a mixed bag overall. The positives were that it actually did a half decent job at creating a Wild West atmosphere, rather than focusing entirely on the horror, the characters were decently developed, and unlike most modern horror films it went for a really bleak ending. Basically all the good guys die or fail to achieve the goal they were aiming for throughout the film, and the bad guy, who is really set up throughout the film for a horrible death sequence at some point, not only survives but basically triumphs over everyone else. It also had a fairly good soundtrack. The major negatives were that the monsters themselves were pretty stupid looking, not to mention quite unrealistic, the horror side of the story was nothing particularly original, and the token black character was totally out of place and rather feebly justified.

Amusement - I was pleasantly surprised by this one; based on the box art and blurb I was expecting a generic Hostel/Saw gorexploitation film, but it managed to be a bit more than that. The story was essentially divided into four parts, the first three focusing on each of the three main characters, and the fourth being the climactic battle where they all meet up and encounter the bad guy. The gore was mostly not too over the top, with the only particularly brutal scene being revealed to be a fake. Quite a few sequences obviously took a lot of inspiration from various other well known horror films, but they were unique enough to not feel like ripoffs. It also featured quite possibly the creepiest clown I have ever seen in a movie. The downsides were some average acting from most of the main characters, a few slightly awkward scene transitions, and the final quarter of the film seemed a bit uninspired and generic compared to the rest. Overall though, not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
    Halloween (John Carpenter, 1978)

Very good horror film despite the complete lack of gore. I loved the suburban setting. Acting was rather shoddy at times and the script wasn't the best, but I'll let it slide because of the movie's rather small budget. It was overall well made with lots of tense moments. The typical horror movie cliches might bother some though.

I know the director himself denies it, but I found the "conservative" message in this to be too blatant to be mere coincidence. Everyone that is killed had just participated in premarital casual sex, smoked, or drank alcohol. The heroine is a virgin and the movie goes out of its way to emphasize this on several occasions. Maybe I'm over-analyzing it but it caught my attention on my first watch and I rarely notice things like this.
    It wouldn't be a week in my life without watching at least one B-grade horror.

Spirit Trap (2005) - Basically your standard haunted house movie. A British production, but filmed on the cheap in Romania with Bucharest filling in for London. Billie Piper in the lead role, which is fine with me because she's nice to look at, even if she isn't a particularly outstanding actor. The plot was very predictable - I'm not sure if the ending was supposed to be a twist, but if so, it was the most predictable twist in film history. Not a terrible movie, but not a good one either.

Shrooms (2007) - This Irish film was a bit more interesting. Basically a group of teens (naturally played by 20-something year olds) go into the deep woods of rural Ireland with the intention of getting absolutely wasted on magic mushrooms. Predictably all is not well, and they are gradually killed one by one. What I liked about it was that there was a lot of ambiguity as to just how much of what was seen really happened, and how much was the hallucinatory effects of the mushrooms. The ending ruined this slightly, but not completely. One of the two main semi-supernatural antagonists (who may or may not have actually been real) was genuinely creepy, although the other one was a bit silly. Definitely a watchable film, and very slightly better than your average teen slasher. Obviously not in any danger of being remembered as a milestone of cinema though.
    You don't have to go into extreme detail like they have, but what we'd like to see is some opinions about the film and what you thought about it.

• Advertising

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default Re: What was the last film you saw (and what did you think about it)?

Wait, you mean people actually read my posts in that thread? I had no idea.

I agree with this change. Too many people posted useless crap like "last night i watched [Insert Bad Movie Here]!!!"

(Zain)

Sorry to start this off on a negative note, but I saw Taxi Driver. What an utterly crap movie. Don't know why it is hyped up so much. The movie just dragged on and on without seemingly leading to any climax. The failure of the romance was badly done, the conversation outside the diner where the main character claims to have 'bad thoughts' was so badly written I wanted to cry. The scene with the secret service guy was the most pointless thing in the entire movie. Overall, not impressed at all. Waste of time.

I did love The Departed though.

PS. You should not have locked the previous thread. You are expecting too much from Gov users. After 3 pages this will again become a thread in which people only post the names of movies they just saw.

Lover of cold brewskies

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Sorry to start this off on a negative note, but I saw Taxi Driver. What an utterly crap movie. Don't know why it is hyped up so much. The movie just dragged on and on without seemingly leading to any climax. The failure of the romance was badly done, the conversation outside the diner where the main character claims to have 'bad thoughts' was so badly written I wanted to cry. The scene with the secret service guy was the most pointless thing in the entire movie. Overall, not impressed at all. Waste of time.
    You didn't like Taxi Driver? What the hell is wrong with you? It's a masterpiece.

It's not a conventional movie. You're supposed to be confused at what's going on around you and Travis isn't a likable character. The failed romance just shows how out of touch Travis was with society.

(Leo)
    Wing Commander Birthday FlyingKiwi's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Excellent idea to remake the thread - glad our posts were noticed too.

Last night I watched:

Tropic Thunder (2008) - Action/comedy featuring quite a large number of famous Hollywood faces. Actually not too bad, a little bit silly at times, but that was to be expected. Ben Stiller was pretty good in the lead role, Jack Black was funny as always in his own slightly manic way, and Robert Downey Jr. put in a hilarious performance as an Australian (obviously a spoof of Russell Crowe) playing an ultra-stereotypical black man, complete with face paint. Tom Cruise also had a part as a psychotic rich guy with a tendency to suddenly start miming to some really inappropriate rap music. I didn't realise it was him at all until the ending credits.
    Countries and Cultures Moderator

Visit the Anthropology & Geography diary - new faces always welcome!

Banned

Sherlock Holmes - 2009 - This has been remade countless times. I've yet to see any other version of the film, but I definitely think this'll remain as one of the best that was released to DVD this year. Though I haven't read any of the short stories or novels about the character, this definitely makes me want to pick up a copy or two of one of the novels!

......the fuck? Member Pontius Pilate's Avatar

Couples Retreat
    I can't remember all the actors name except Vince Vaughn and don't really want to look them up right now. I actually really enjoyed it. The characters were very funny and each couple had their own issues which made it funny and allowed the movie to not be boring by focusing on one couple. And they "yoga guy" was hilarious.

Defiantly think its a good watch for anyone who likes comedies. 7.5/10
    "You slip. Put another rubber bullet in my back again. You slip. You Slip"

Rand Paul 2016

(Leo)
    Wing Commander Birthday FlyingKiwi's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Rogue (2007) - An Australian horror film about a tour group that become stranded on a small tidal island and are hunted by a gigantic crocodile. Although the premise is nothing original, I actually really liked this film. The acting was quite natural and felt appropriate for the situation they were in, the pacing was very good, the soundtrack did a good job of creating a slightly haunting atmosphere but without going over the top. The crocodile was, I think, animatronic and actually looked surprisingly realistic. Some of it's movements seemed a bit unnatural, but it didn't have that fake CG or puppet look that a lot of low budget movie monsters have. I also appreciated that it wasn't a slasher film in disguise - most of the characters actually survive, and the few that do die aren't necessarily the "obvious" choices for horrible deaths in terms of their personalities. It might not be the new Jaws, but I'd give this film a solid 7/10, with a few points deducted just on the basis of the storyline being mostly very cliché.
    Countries and Cultures Moderator

Visit the Anthropology & Geography diary - new faces always welcome!

(Liam)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - Hayao Miyazaki is probably one of the most consistently great movie directors in our time. Since Howl's Moving Castle is not as sophisticated as Princess Mononoke, it relies on upping the ante on childhood charm and, as always is the case with Ghibli, providing a magical world for the imagination to run rampant on. In a similar way to Pan's Labyrinth, it presents big issues in the film, such as war, but makes it a backdrop to a smaller story based around the relationships between, for example, a young lady who has been turned into an elderly woman by magic, a complacent fire demon, a wizard that can turn into a monstrous bird and an overly helpful scarecrow. That's to say, I love Howl's Moving Castle. It gives my childhood a massive hug. My only real gripe is the voice acting from Christian Bale was a little annoying. If possible, watch in Japanese with subtitles! 8/10
    pazu likes this.

(John)
    Rockin' the IROC Member Farmall's Avatar

Clash of The Titans.

Awful.
    The Gay Black Female Awareness Group

Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker
    she gives out more than blow pops for free
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Yeah, just don't let someone else see it, or else it looks like something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
    I think we're turning John gay.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Tom Cruise also had a part as a psychotic rich guy with a tendency to suddenly start miming to some really inappropriate rap music. I didn't realise it was him at all until the ending credits.
    Hahaha, I didn't recognize him until the credits either. I felt so stupid. His acting was very enjoyable. My favorite part in that movie.

I haven't been able to watch movies lately because I started The Wire. Phenomenal show.

(Ewan)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
    Wait, you mean people actually read my posts in that thread? I had no idea.

I agree with this change. Too many people posted useless crap like "last night i watched [Insert Bad Movie Here]!!!"
    Yes, people actually read your posts in that thread Granted that it's my job, but they were one of the highlights of reading that thread! You're not all bad!

Quote Originally Posted by brightside. View Post
    PS. You should not have locked the previous thread. You are expecting too much from Gov users. After 3 pages this will again become a thread in which people only post the names of movies they just saw.
    That's okay! When it starts getting spammy again I can make a new thread again! Hooray me!

Excellent idea to remake the thread - glad our posts were noticed too.
    They've been consistently good! I'm happy to have you as an example, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by pheurton View Post
    Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - Hayao Miyazaki is probably one of the most consistently great movie directors in our time. Since Howl's Moving Castle is not as sophisticated as Princess Mononoke, it relies on upping the ante on childhood charm and, as always is the case with Ghibli, providing a magical world for the imagination to run rampant on. In a similar way to Pan's Labyrinth, it presents big issues in the film, such as war, but makes it a backdrop to a smaller story based around the relationships between, for example, a young lady who has been turned into an elderly woman by magic, a complacent fire demon, a wizard that can turn into a monstrous bird and an overly helpful scarecrow. That's to say, I love Howl's Moving Castle. It gives my childhood a massive hug. My only real gripe is the voice acting from Christian Bale was a little annoying. If possible, watch in Japanese with subtitles! 8/10
    I agree wholeheartedly with this! When I watched Howl (back a very long time ago now, and fairly soon after it came out) I really, really enjoyed it. I watched the Japanese with subtitles so I didn't have to experience Christian Bale's voice acting, so that's always a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon<3 View Post
    Clash of The Titans.
    Awful.
    No. Don't post like this again.

As for myself:

She's Out of My League (2010) - Now, this was surprisingly not that bad. I watched it only because I was bored, wide awake and there was nothing on TV. That said, it was actually rather funny in parts and although predictable, I did enjoy the ending.

It was a solid, predictable romcom that didn't really disappoint. It wasn't at all new or exciting but it made me feel happy and warm at the end of it. And that's why people watch romcoms, so if you enoy that sort of thing, give this a go.

(Bobby)

XXX: State of Union

It was a good movie, full of action and drama. The plot is a typical spy movie, with several interesting twists. Vin Diesel was a good spy.
    Bobby

GovHomie- Dylan
    GovDiplomats- Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge on AIM
    call the cops on them
    Quote Originally Posted by Me to Jorge
    call the cops on my dad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    yes
    Visit The World
    Visit GovChat

(Kudi)

Quote Originally Posted by Blau View Post
    Couples Retreat
    I can't remember all the actors name except Vince Vaughn and don't really want to look them up right now. I actually really enjoyed it. The characters were very funny and each couple had their own issues which made it funny and allowed the movie to not be boring by focusing on one couple. And they "yoga guy" was hilarious.

Defiantly think its a good watch for anyone who likes comedies. 7.5/10

I was thinking of watching that.. but then again, I'm not a big Vince fan, so I was like would it be that funny

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    - Jimmy Buffett

Laughter is the closest distance between two people.
    - Victor Borge

Thanks to Davo for the face

I must say I'm disappointed that the old thread was closed, it lists almost every movie I've seen in the past couple of years, anyway

Kick-Ass

it kicked ass, what more is there to say?

well for one thing it was hilarious, certain scenes had me rolling and it had some excellent action, I wanted to cheer at certain points

it was also inspiring to me, not to become a super hero, but to grab life by the balls and pursue your dreams, even if they're ridiculous

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast