My Diary
    ( 1 )

Exclamation Biggest Rattlesnake Ever

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Apparently in south Jacksonville, near the St. Augustine outlet in the new KB Homes subdivsion they found a 15 foot Diamondback rattlesnake. That’s right, 15 foot! Apparently it’s the biggest every caught on record.

Some facts about this snake:

• One bite from a snake this large contains enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men
    • The head alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man.
    • A bite from those fangs would equal being penetrated by two 1/4 inch screwdrivers.
    • A snake this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child.
    • A snake this size has an approximately 5 and 1/2 foot accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size Rattlesnake is about 2 feet)
    • Judging by the size of the snake, it is estimated to weigh over 170 pounds. How much do you weigh?

I don't know how true this is though.
    Everybody wants to rule the world

• Advertising

(nikko)

Default Re: Biggest Rattlesnake Ever

omg ew thats huge

(Cody)
    Intergalactic Member Green Lantern's Avatar

Default Re: Biggest Rattlesnake Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hoax-Slayer
    Detailed Analysis
    This message, which circulates via email and has also been posted to numerous blogs and forums, claims that attached photographs show a gigantic 15 foot (4.57 meter) Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake caught in a suburb of St. Augustine, in the American state of Florida. According to the message, the snake was the largest of its species ever caught and would have an estimated weight of 170 pounds (77 kilos).

The photographs are genuine and they do indeed depict a very sizable Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake. And, as stated in the message, the snake was found in a street in St. Augustine, a city in St. Johns County, Florida, United States. The snake was dubbed "Rattzilla" by locals in the area. However, at that point, the text that accompanies the photographs starts to stray significantly from the truth. In fact, the snake was measured at around 7 feet (2,13 meters), not 15 feet as claimed in the message. A September 30, 2009 article published on Jacksonville news outlet News4Jax.com notes:
    ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The trappers who caught and killed a giant rattlesnake in St. Johns County said the snake was 7 feet 3 inches long.

Experts said it's one of the biggest rattlesnakes they've ever seen.

The rattlesnake slithered its way into Tuscany Village, a St. Augustine townhouse community, over the weekend. The trapper who caught and killed this rattlesnake measured it at 7 feet 3 inches.
    FirstCoastNews, another local news site, confirms the catch, noting:
    ST. AUGUSTINE, FL -- A venomous snake over seven feet long was discovered in a neighborhood over the weekend.

It was an eastern diamondback rattlesnake that measured 7 feet, 3 inches in length. According to the University of Florida, the record size for that type of snake is 8 feet, so this was definitely a large snake.

Homeowner Howard McGaffney saw the snake on the perimeter of his neighborhood, Tuscany Village, near State Road 16 and Interstate 95.
    Both stories feature the same photographs that are included in the email forward. Thus, although very large, the snake falls well short of the unprecedented 15 foot length afforded to it in the email forward. The specimen is also not the "largest ever caught" as claimed in the message. According to a National Geographic article about eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, snakes of that species have been known to grow as long as 8 feet (2.43 meters). The message also plays fast and loose with the truth by suggesting that the snake in the photographs would weigh over 170 pounds. The National Geographic article states that the 8 foot specimens can weigh up to 10 pounds (4.53 kilos). So, even if the snake was 15 feet long as claimed in the message, it still would not weigh anything near 170 pounds. A Wikipedia article about Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake claims that one captive specimen may have weighed over 26 pounds (11.79 kilos). However, even a snake three times the size of that specimen would still fall well short of the 170 pounds suggested in the message. Thus, both the length and the weight recorded in the message are spurious.

Moreover, an eight foot eastern diamondback rattlesnake might have fangs of a little more than an inch (27 mm). Thus, one would expect that even a 15 footer would have fangs of a length considerably less than that of your average screwdriver. And the other statistics recorded in the message are also factually dubious. It seems that whoever wrote the description should go back and do a little more research. Either that, or stop telling blatant lies. It is puzzling as to why anyone would see a need to embellish the original story by exaggerating the length and other vital statistics of such a large snake. One would think that the unusually large size of the rattler along with its

A News4Jax.com news video about Rattzilla provides more details about its capture and incudes footage of the hapless reptile's frozen corpse.
    It isn't Brad, no need to worry
    In brightest day, in blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight.
    Let those who worship evil’s might, Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!
    كودي
    The Garage; "I didn't know we had that."
    Atra du evarínya ono varda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Blowjobs
    Let's just say, if I was 16 I'd be all over your dick AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I still love you in a completely platonic, you're underage and I only know you through the interwebs kinda way. -Casey