Thread: Baby Turtles?

(Jay)

Default Baby Turtles?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    At the mall yesterday some guy at one of the stands in the middle of the hall was selling those little houses that you get the hermit crabs in except he was selling the houses and letting you adopt the baby turtle... Buying the turtle is illegal, but according to him adopting is like a loophole or something, I was just wondering if this could possibly be illegal as well cuz this guy was like all paranoid and a dick to me, he was rude and stuff..??
    HEY I'M ME, DON'T LIKE IT... WELL I DON'T CARE!!!

From, Your buddy, Jay...

LIVESTRONG

• Advertising

(Amanda)

Default Re: Baby Turtles?

Depends on the type of turtle. Buying and selling certain species is indeed illegal. But I doubt anyone is going to track you down and fine you for buying a turtle at the mall. If he had a stand at the mall, then obviously the mall had to approve the selling of that animal. But if he only had the one turtle, and a bunch of hermit crabs, then I'd be suspicious too.

If you have a camera you could go back and take a pic of the turtle and go to petco to see if it's the kind that's illegal to sell or not.
    Former Moderator In Help & Advice & P101
    Voted Hottest Girl on Gov 2006 & 2007
    Life is an emotional rollercoaster
    I Ink
    My Personal Zoo:
    Corn Snake
    Cute Old Dog
    Fat Orange Cat
    Beta Fish and Tropical Fish
    Two Crested Geckos

Quote Originally Posted by Harlot's Beast
    I don't believe true love is as much a feeling as it is a choice. No, you can't help it if you have those feelings for someone, but its choice to love them. Not love as in "aww you make me feel happy" but love as in "I choose to be with you, to protect you, and to hold you above myself forever"
    Love = Choice. You don't find it, you make it.

(Ebony)

i have baby turtle that i got fom L.A. i that illegal. they are red ear tutles.
    Las Vegas

Coolest city in the U.S.A

14/f/str8

TimeBombSexy19

(Vikki)

Why is it illegal to buy and sell turtles ? They're no different to terrapins really and people buy them all the time.
    Next time you go to the supermarket, fill your trolley with booze - vodka, whisky, gin, whatever you want, fill it, and just before you get to the till put in a pack of nappies. Once they've tilled it through and tell you the price, pretend like you don't have quite enough money and put the nappies back. They'll look at you like you're scum, it's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBombSexy19
    i have baby turtle that i got fom L.A. i that illegal. they are red ear tutles.
    those are california turtles...i have those kinds of turtles...they are really cute....they are not illegal here, in Serbia...but i think i've heard somewhere that they r illegal in USA....but why do u care....i mean...if you like them, just buy them..no one is going to know....
    Love

Music
    &
    Beer

Well i don't know where u are but for every state there are different rules. In NJ it is ILLEAGAL to buy and sell ANY type of turtle or tortoise. Another example is you can't but ferrets in CA....but u can in NJ. In some states you can't own skunks....in NJ u can.....in Georgia, you can own a skunk as long as it is not black and white!! These are alll stupid fish and game (and wildlife) rules. And BTW.......he is odopting those out to there death beads if he was selling those little cages with them.
    John

15/m/nj

(Meghan!)

the little turtles are illegal because they can carry salmonella.

i used to have one. they he got bigger, and my brother accidentally lost him outside.

but yes, i definitely think it's illegal for this guy to be selling or even "adopting" out these little turtles. that's very shady. although, adoption is always a better choice than buying an animal.
    it's been such a hard season,
    and the bridges we burned
    might be all we had to keep us from drowning.
    but at least we had this time;
    and i'd like to think we're better off for it.
    i'll remember this.
    sometimes broken things make the best building supplies.
    and we'll keep on building.
    hearts aren't made of glass,
    they're made of muscle, and blood, and something else.
    and they don't so much as break, as bend and tear.
    we have what it takes to keep it together;
    and move on.

It is illeagal cause people kept them in these little small bowls and never cleaned them. Then the people would touch them and not wash and get salmonella. A typical single adult water turtle NEEDS at least a 30 gal tank, a basking light, and a UV light, and a good filter. (to process calcium for healthy shell/bones). You should also have a submersable heater. The tank needs to be cleaned one a week. This is why they I am glad they are illeagal here. I feel terrible for any animal that is taken out of the wild for our enjoyment and tortured under improper conditions.

Edit: Also, every bird and reptile carries salmonella......but turtles in those little bowls had a high concentration of it. AND im sure that he was not ligidamately adopting them out.....he is not a turtle recue. Whatever the price for the cage was.....he probably upped it up to basically include the price of the turtle.

Grr....im so mad
    John

15/m/nj

i heard that they r illegal coz some kids tried to eat them...LoL...they put them in their mouth and they got solamonella....LoL...they r not illegal here...i guess we just don't like eating turtles..LoL
    Love

Music
    &
    Beer

(Matt)

At my elementary school we had a class pet turtle, you must arrest everybody there

I think you can own turtles as long as they aren't endangered

There's a difference between turtles and terrepins? I never knew that.

Terrapins are turtles. In those state that are illeagal, It is only illeagal to buy/sell turtles. Not own them. Almost all petstore here in NJ still carry turtle supplies.
    John

15/m/nj

(Adam)

i have 2 red eared slider turtles, and both of them were bought the week that myrtle beach banned the sale of them. *that's where my mom got them* but anyways, it was a "surprise" little did she know that we would be spending 2 hours the next day at petsmart getting supplies for them. She thought that they could live in the little plastic critter keeper (pffft). Every year thousand upon thousands of baby turtles are bought and neglected. you really need to know how to care for them right. There are a lot of myths out there and it's crucial to read up. my website has some info on red ear sliders as well as other reptiles and such http://adam3670.tripod.cpm/thecrittercove

hope this helps,

-adam