Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franky)

Default What's the average DSL connection speed?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Because I'm getting kinda pissed at our provider for giving us only 175kb/s for download speed and 414kb/s upload speed at best.

And its not normal for the upload speed to be 2.5x faster than your download speed, right?
    "I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe. I was not offended, for I know I had to rise above it all, or drown in my own shit."

• Advertising

Meow. Member

Default Re: What's the average DSL connection speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brewster View Post
    Because I'm getting kinda pissed at our provider for giving us only 175kb/s for download speed and 414kb/s upload speed at best.

And its not normal for the upload speed to be 2.5x faster than your download speed, right?
    I'd say the average around here is around 3-4mbps (384KB/sec) for downstream, for DSL.

Are your figures in KB or kb (Kilobytes or Kilobits) per second? Like, are they the speeds you're seeing on downloads? If so, that's going to be KB. If you didn't do a speed test (I assume that's where you got the results, at least for the upload), try doing one on speedtest.net, and post the results.

It's strange to get a faster upstream than downstream. It's usually the opposite. Like, mine's rated for 6mbps/768kbps, or 768KBps/96KBps.

What's your connection rated for? Like, what's it supposed to be, according to whoever you're ISP is? Your downstream would indicate a 1.5mbps DSL connection. Your upstream is kind of odd, though, for a normal 1.5mbps DSL connection.

Depends on where you are, when it comes to the average speed.

If you know what Speeds you should be getting, you can compare them to what you are actually getting. If you're rated, for say a 3mbps connection, and you're only getting a 1.5, then I'd say you have grounds to call them and find out what's up.

Depending on your area, you may have other providers available, and you may not. My area, I have three choices:

1.) The ADSL I have now
    2.) Satellite
    3.) Dial-up.

Until last year, the ADSL option wasn't even available. They offered a 144kbps/144kbps (16KB/sec both ways) IDSL.

My provider offers the 144kbps, 3mb, and 6mb speeds now.

(Franky)

Okay, just got back from dinner, we talked about it for a bit,
    apparently we're being billed for a 3 megabytes per second connection.

and our connection I guess is just fluctuating extremely.
    now we're at around 740 kb/s.

(yeah, I was using SpeedTest.net)
    so it is kb/s.

740 kb is still pretty far away from 3MB, though.

ugh.
    "I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe. I was not offended, for I know I had to rise above it all, or drown in my own shit."

(Brian)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brewster View Post

It's impossible to say what the "average" speed is, because there are so many factors to consider when looking at DSL performance.

For example, what type of DSL, what quality phone lines, how far are you from the exchange, what type of equipment is at the exchange and at the customer's premises, and so on.

Who is your Internet provider, and what speeds does their advertising claim you should be able to get? Also what town/city/country are you in and what "flavour" of DSL are you connected to? That might give us a good starting point.

(Franky)

flavor?
    and as I said earlier, we're paying for 3MB/s

Oh, and we're calling our ISP this week.

Meow. Member

I would call them up and ask them what's up. Because, if you're paying for 3mbps, you should be getting on average, very close to 3mbps, and they should be doing everything in their power to fix it.

I don't know how your ISP is, but I know when my ISP put in our DSL line, they ran a new seperate wire into the house for the DSL, and it's on a separate line going back to their dmark.

Speeds will vary, like Brian mentioned, based on your distance, and other things.

But, I wouldn't pay for 3mbps if you aren't getting it. And, they shouldn't be charging you for it, if they can't provide it.

By Flavor, I believe he means like "ADSL," "VDSL," "SDSL," "IDSL," etc.

His post was likely made while you were posting yours, so he missed your earlier post specifying it.

Most DSL modems have a little Status page that you can view (Assuming your ISP allows you access to it, and hasn't passworded it) that'll tell you the speed at which it's connected. It may be right, and it may not be.

Like, for a while, Mine aways said something like "19,043kbps/897kbps" when my rated speed was only 6144kbps/768kbps, and that's all I'd get anyway.

It may have been reporting what the maximum possible speed was under the line conditions, or it might have just been nonsense.

I assume these speeds are an average you are getting all the time, and not just that you ran a speed test a few times on speedtest.net, on one server, and are getting those? Because those speedtests aren't always accurate. It just depends on how much traffic that particular server is getting at the time. But, if it's on multiple speedtest locations, and an overall average on your downloads, and browsing, then yeah, it's not right.

(Brian)

I originally added this as an edit to my first post, but then it didn't make any sense at all coz I was also talking about things I'd seen in posts *after* the original one

I think your speed is probably 3 megaBITS per second not 3 megaBYTES per second. Just so we get all the terminology right...

At full speed on a 3Mb/sec (little "b" for bits, big "B" for bytes ) you should expect to be able to download at approximately 300kB/sec, approximately. 3Mb/sec is 384kB/sec - but with the overheads involved in the signalling with any kind of transmission, you'll never, ever get that actual speed. In the order of 300-ish is probably more accurate.

Now I don't know how ISPs in the United States advertise, but here in Australia, *no* ISP will make any kinds of guarantees at all on download speed. They will advertise the product as "up to 3Mbit/sec", which means that in perfect conditions, that's the fastest you'll get.

But your ISP doesn't control the whole Internet. If you're downloading from a source in Romania for example, the data is going to get to you as fast as the slowest part of the path between you and them. So if part of that link is a 64kb/sec wire, then you'll get 64kbits on your 3Mbits connection.

Also, beware of these speed test websites. They don't really give you any information that's useful and are quite misleading when trying to diagnose a potential problem.

(Franky)

*scratches head at bits/bytes confusion* (damnit. )

and I think I've seen similar results on other speed testing websites.

I know they don't guarantee us 3Mb/s (or whatever it is. ) but I mean, even if that's the highest possible, they're still waaaaaaaaaaay behind.
    My friend suggested it might be old cables, but it shouldn't affect wireless either, right?
    and I'm well aware of the whole internet thingy, all of the servers of the websites I go to are close enough.

we know its not the router because we got a new one.

I just want good, stable internet.

*sniff*

(Brian)

The bits vs bytes confusion gets a lot of people

There's 8 bits in a byte, as I'm sure you already know, but when talking about communications, in addition to the actual "message" that's being passed, there's start-of-message, end-of-message and error correcting checksums in there as well. Which means, very roughly, that dividing by 10 instead of 8 gives you a better idea of what to expect.

So, if you're getting 175kB/sec downloads, then that's 1.75Mb/sec, or thereabouts. Which is just over half of the advertised speed from the ISP. If you're getting 175kb, then that's shocking performance and something's definitely not right at all

You mentioned a new router. Does this router have a configuration page that you can log into? It should show your current connection statistics, which'll be another clue where the problems might lie...

Here's one I prepared earlier

This is a section of the configuration page of my ADSL modem/router. As you can see, it shows the *actual* speed my modem has synchronised at, in the upstream and downstream paths...

So I'm connected at about 7.5M down and 1M up ... roughly. Which means I'd expect a download via Internet Explorer for example to come through at about 700kB/sec if everything was behaving itself...

(Kevin)
    Banned

I have 2 / 2 mbps and it's bit slow 'cause it's shared connection =/

(Brian)

When you say a shared connection, do you mean it's shared within your household, or wider than that?

Some ISPs have a system whereby they allocate a certain amount of bandwidth to an area - not usually a whole telephone exchange, more like a "node" on a street corner that might feed, say a dozen or twenty houses.

Now if nobody is using their Internet connection much out of those houses, then you'll get full speed, but if they're all downloading like crazy, then that shared bandwidth has to be divided amongst all the houses which means nobody will get their "full" speed...

(Kevin)
    Banned

It's shared to my family. 2 / 2 mbps is ok for normal surfing but downloading any updates is a pain in my ass. And then I also get yelled for stealing the bandwidth.

(Brian)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin. View Post
    It's shared to my family. 2 / 2 mbps is ok for normal surfing but downloading any updates is a pain in my ass. And then I also get yelled for stealing the bandwidth.
    Haha I know all about that one... *Now* I know why they make toddlers learn to share. It's preparing us for when we're bigger and uglier and hogging all the Internet bandwidth

If I have any heavy downloading to do, I normally schedule it for late at night, so the old man can get on his computer in the early evening and not be bitching and complaining the whole time

(Ben)

I'm paying for an Up-To 7 meg line, and I get on average 6151 Kb/sec down and 716 kb/sec up. Qwest does pretty good for me, I really have no complaints about my DSL.

ren
    (Taylor)

My auntie as a 10mbit connection, but on the HP website she downloads at about 16MB/s *omfg*
    But that's only on HPs website, they must have some fast servers or something, cuz everywhere else she gets about 1MB/s

I get 5KB/s *stupid dial up*
    Crossfire is a waste of money. Considering 2x4850s? Get a 4870. Considering 2x4870s? Get a 4870x2. Considering 2x4870x2s? You have too much money, I don't like you anymore.
    See that? Over there, you still got an IDE, so just so you know, incase you're a dinosaur, or if you're just like the most awkward person on the planet, and you're buying like this super high tech awesome motherboard, to use your 20 MB/s IDE drive from the late 90s, it is there for you.
    "What matters most is how well you walk through the fire."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information