Default COX sent me email from hbo from dling tv ep from bittorrent, need help

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    so i got an email from cox, well my mom did i still live with her, saying pretty much the same thing as this except with today's date and instead "rome" being downloading, i downloaded an ep of entourage:

"From: Cox Abuse Tracking System <abuse@cox.net>
    Date: 2005/10/11 Tue AM 04:31:32 EDT
    To: anon7@cox.net
    Subject:[10.11.2005 1234567] Notice of Copyright Infringement

Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have
    received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service
    to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's
    members. We have included a copy of the complaint letter. Pursuant to the
    provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified
    at 17 U.S.C. ? 512, upon receiving such notification, Cox is required to "act
    expeditiously to remove, or disable access to" the infringing material in order
    to avoid liability for any alleged copyright infringement. Accordingly, Cox
    will suspend your account and disable your connection to the Internet within 24
    hours of your receipt of this email if the offending material is not removed.

Please be aware that the DMCA also provides procedures by which a subscriber
    accused of copyright violation can respond to the allegations of infringement
    and, under certain circumstances, cause his or her account to be reinstated.
    To do so, however, the response must meet certain criteria. Pursuant to
    section (g) of the DMCA (17 U.S.C. ? 512(g)), you have the right to submit to
    Cox a counter-notification which, to be effective, must include the following
    elements:

(a) a physical or electronic signature of the subscriber;
    (b) identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has
    been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was
    removed or disabled;
    (c) a statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith
    belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or
    misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled;
    (d) the subscriber?s name, address, and telephone number and a statement that
    the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for
    the judicial district in which the address is located.

In the event that you submit to Cox a counter-notification that includes these
    elements, Cox will forward your counter notification to the complainant and
    advise them that Cox will cease disabling access to the allegedly infringing
    material in ten (10) business days. Unless the complainant notifies us that it
    has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in the
    allegedly infringing activity prior to the expiration of those ten (10)
    business days, Cox will reactivate your account.

For answers to frequently asked questions, please follow the link below:

http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp?sprt_cid=c2a30ae8-d706-4f6e-beb9-618ea54d1791

Sincerely,

Cox Customer Security

--- Original Message ---

------=_NextPart_0020b25c02075b07d5
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=EF=BB=BFTuesday, October 11, 2005

Cox Communications, Inc.
    1400 Lake Hearn Drive, NE
    Atlanta, GA 30319 US

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Television Program Entitl=
    ed
    Rome

Dear DMCA Agent:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Home Box Office, Inc. ("HBO").

We have received information that an individual has utilized the above-refe=
    renced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrigh=
    ted television program(s) through a "peer-to-peer" service, including such =
    title(s) as:

Rome

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television programs =
    constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United=
    States Code Section 106(3). =20

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the follo=
    wing:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct describe=
    d above; and
    2) Take appropriate action against the account holder (if other than the in=
    dividual whose access has been disabled) under your Abuse Policy/Terms of S=
    ervice Agreement.

On behalf of HBO, owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material=
    at issue in this notice, we hereby state, that we have a good faith belief=
    that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by =
    HBO, its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the Stat=
    e of New York and under the laws of the United States, that the information=
    in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on beha=
    lf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in thi=
    s notification.

Please direct any end user queries to the following address:

Steve Rosenthal
    Legal Department
    Home Box Office, Inc.
    1100 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036
    212.512.1780 =E2=80=93 phone
    212.512.5854 =E2=80=93 fax
    infringements@hbo.com =E2=80=93 email

Kindly include the Case ID 12345678, also noted above, in the subject line =
    of all future correspondence regarding this matter.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this ma=
    tter. Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
    Director of Enforcement
    MediaSentry, Inc.

------------------------------
    Infringement Detail:
    Infringing Work: Rome
    Filepath: Rome.S01E07.HR.HDTV.AC3.5.1.XviD-NBS.avi.torrent
    Filename: Rome.S01E07.HR.HDTV.AC3.5.1.XviD-NBS.avi
    First Found: 10 Oct 2005 21:29:55 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Last Found: 10 Oct 2005 21:29:55 EDT (GMT -0400)
    Filesize: 715,004k
    IP Address: 68.111.12.34
    IP Port: 16955
    Network: BTPeers
    Protocol: BitTorrent"

my question is how do i proceed from here? i've been to other places and people have received this same thing, often multiple times, so i'm not the only with this problem. my mom is going to call cox today and i told her i dled the ep and it's since been deleted. they cited me for dling the ep april 9th so that's almost a month ago and it's gone but if my mom calls cox and says it's gone, will that be like a trick confession to admitting dling it and will i face charges? has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you handle it?

needless to say i'm going to limit, if not stop completely, my interaction with bittorents(and bitcomet). does anyone else use bittorrents? if so what do you use? i've read people using azureus with p2p guardian and some other shit with mixed reviews. people say nothing happens with it, others say the day they downloaded something with p2p guardian all kinds of ip blocking. i can only sometimes find really rare stuff off bittorent and i wanted to use it but be safe.

does anyone else use newzbin? i used to until bittorrent came up. now i'll go back to that.

• Advertising

(Gabriel)

Default Re: COX sent me email from hbo from dling tv ep from bittorrent, need help

Follow the instructions. Delete the message and stop downloading.
    Silence, unbeliever!! Our weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the pope, and nice red uniforms.... Oh, bloody hell.

Default Re: COX sent me email from hbo from dling tv ep from bittorrent, need help

You done the crime, you pay the fine.