Meow. Member

Default Computer Off, Modem "Keeps Phone off Hook"

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Recently, once in a while, when I shutdown my computer at night, my computer seems to "Take the phone off the hook," meaning, that, like this morning, when my mom went to use the phone, there was no dial tone. The dialtone doesn't come back until I turn my computer back on, and dial up the internet.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I wouldn't think it'd be a driver issue, or anything like that, because while the computer is on, when I'm disconnected from the internet, it leaves the phone line alone. But, sometimes, when I shut the computer off, it messes the line up so there is no dial tone.

• Advertising

(Chris)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default Re: Computer Off, Modem "Keeps Phone off Hook"

Have you taken the phone line out from the computer out of the wall, and put the phone cable back in when you turn it off? It sounds simple, but it could be your problem.

(Mark)

Get a surge protector that has in/out ports for a phone line. Switch off your surge protector when your computer isn't on, and it'll disconnect your modem from the phone line.
    I'm smartguy, and I approve this message.

Meow. Member

Quote Originally Posted by mega gamer
    Have you taken the phone line out from the computer out of the wall, and put the phone cable back in when you turn it off? It sounds simple, but it could be your problem.
    Nope. Don't have any reason to. And, anyway, there aren't any phones directly connected to my computer.

I do have my phone line rigged though. I have two phone wires connected to an extra modem outside my room to extend the line far enough to reach my room. But, that modem isn't in a computer. It's just something to allow for an extention. But, I don't think it's that, because I've had that connected for a while now, and the problem I've had with my computer is just recently started.

Meow. Member

Quote Originally Posted by smartguy
    Get a surge protector that has in/out ports for a phone line. Switch off your surge protector when your computer isn't on, and it'll disconnect your modem from the phone line.
    Hmmm... Sounds like a lot of work. I have one of those, and the power cords are connected to it, but not the phone line. I might try that. Although, my router is plugged into that surge protector as well, and I don't want to be powering that down when I turn my computer off. I COULD attach that to a different surge protector.

(Chris)
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Have you got in touch with you phone line provider. They could come over and take a look at it.

Meow. Member

Quote Originally Posted by mega gamer
    Have you got in touch with you phone line provider. They could come over and take a look at it.
    Nah, no point in that. It's probably my stupid computer or Modem. This modem is a few years old, and it gets a huge workout everyday, like all of my computer things do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just going bad.

Later today, if I have time, I'll mess with turning my computer off with the line plugged in, and see If I can get it to recreate the problem. It hasn't happened a LOT, but it has been about 3-4 times within the past half month. But, of course, my computer is on almost 24/7 anyway. So, that doesn't help in isolating the problem.

Thread Information