Default Stephen Harper's proposals on carbon capture.

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    I don't know, maybe I was dreaming, maybe I was seeing or hearing things. But one morning I was watching Canada A.M. and suddenly this thing came up showing Stephen Harper's ecotrust fund in order to lower the effect of Global warming.

I was kind of surprised of hearin this. Then at school I asked my teacher if he heard about it and he said no. This was the only time I heard something of any kiind. Has anyone else seen this on the news?

Here's a link about the carbon capture I just found:

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?category=2&id=1567

• Advertising

(Nathan)

Default Re: Stephen Harper's Genius idea of stopping Global Warming (?)

I believe you are referring to Carbon Capture & Storage. It is basically a system that captures carbon from power generation and stores it underground. Its not a long term solution from what I've read, but you wouldn't expect much else from Harper anyway. The man only acknowledges global warming because voters are demanding action.
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Default Re: Stephen Harper's proposals on carbon capture.

My teacher specializes in environmental policy and has testified before house committees before....he is not a conservative by ANY means. Before Stephen Harper proposed this...long before...he talked about it as quite a good solution to be combined with other things. He believes its a good solution so as to not stop growth in Alberta, a province continually fucked by Canadian government policy (particularly under Trudeau)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I believe you are referring to Carbon Capture & Storage. It is basically a system that captures carbon from power generation and stores it underground. Its not a long term solution from what I've read, but you wouldn't expect much else from Harper anyway. The man only acknowledges global warming because voters are demanding action.
    Now that seems to be a rather unfair and biased opinion. I am in NO WAY a supporter of Harper, but I am a card-carrying Conservative. If Harper wasn't concerned about the environment, then why did he do a cabinet shuffle, removed Rona Ambrose for the position (who didn't really know squat about the environment) and put a competent and experienced member (John Baird) in, who has experience with the portfolio. Baird was doing a good job on the Treasury Board portfolio.

Carbon capture is a good solution for the short term, yes. Green energy doesn't sprout up overnight. If we can capture carbon emissions during a switchover process, then we should.
    Undergrad student, studying towards a Honours Bachelor of Science in Bio and Psych (double major). Taking courses geared towards medicine and clinical psychology.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, psychologist, or professional ... yet ... As such, anything I say is subject to error, and I encourage anybody with a problem, be it medical, psychological, or otherwise, to seek professional advice where appropriate. That said, if I can help in any way, it is my pleasure to do so.

(Dan)

By capturing carbon and forcing it underground into old oil wells, we can increase the pressure down there and be able to extract previously unreachable deposits, which is really good as the environmental impacts of extracting oil from wells are much less than processing oil from the oil sands.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianTory View Post
    Now that seems to be a rather unfair and biased opinion. I am in NO WAY a supporter of Harper, but I am a card-carrying Conservative. If Harper wasn't concerned about the environment, then why did he do a cabinet shuffle, removed Rona Ambrose for the position (who didn't really know squat about the environment) and put a competent and experienced member (John Baird) in, who has experience with the portfolio.
    Because that's what the public was demanding and it looked good on Harper?

His recent spate of environmentalism was motivated by getting votes, not genuine desire to work on the issue.

I don't believe that its wrong to make policies for votes.....few politicians actually care about issues. Garth Turner came to my class and gave us a whole speech about how much he hated political parties and how they generally were undermining our democracy - by forcing people to vote certain ways. He said he was proposing bills to help independent candidates who are discriminated against VERY heavily by election laws.

He then proceeded to join the liberals.

I have little faith in politicians...any good policy is a good one, even for votes.