No, you may not see my Member Trip's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Book Miscellanea

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    optid likes this.
    Atheism is to a religion as not collecting coins is to a hobby. Illustrators Need Love Too! | Game of Thrones Spoilers Thread | My Blog: Math, Science, History...

"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." - Randall Munroe, creator of xkcd.com.

• Advertising

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Fully agree - I could never love someone who preferred Xenocide over EG.
    Atheism is to a religion as not collecting coins is to a hobby. Illustrators Need Love Too! | Game of Thrones Spoilers Thread | My Blog: Math, Science, History...

"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." - Randall Munroe, creator of xkcd.com.

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Well done British Library, well done.

Unicorn Cookbook Found at the British Library

A long-lost medieval cookbook, containing recipes for hedgehogs, blackbirds and even unicorns, has been discovered at the British Library. Professor Brian Trump of the British Medieval Cookbook Project described the find as near-miraculous. "We've been hunting for this book for years. The moment I first set my eyes on it was spine-tingling."

Detail of a unicorn on the grill in Geoffrey Fule's cookbook, England, mid-14th century (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 137r).

Experts believe that the cookbook was compiled by Geoffrey Fule, who worked in the kitchens of Philippa of Hainault, Queen of England (1328-1369). Geoffrey had a reputation for blending unusual flavours one scholar has called him "the Heston Blumenthal of his day" and everything points to his hand being behind the compilation.

After recipes for herring, tripe and codswallop (fish stew, a popular dish in the Middle Ages) comes that beginning "Taketh one unicorne". The recipe calls for the beast to be marinaded in cloves and garlic, and then roasted on a griddle. The cookbook's compiler, doubtless Geoffrey Fule himself, added pictures in its margins, depicting the unicorn being prepared and then served. Sarah J Biggs, a British Library expert on medieval decoration, commented that "the images are extraordinary, almost exactly as we'd expect them to be, if not better".

A lady bringing the unicorn's head to the table (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 137v).

The recipe for cooking blackbirds is believed to be the origin of the traditional English nursery rhyme "Sing a song of sixpence / A pocket full of rye / Four-and-twenty blackbirds / Baked in a pie." Professor Trump added that he was tempted to try some of the recipes, but suspected that sourcing ingredients would be challenging. "Unfortunately, they don't stock unicorn in my local branch of Tesco."

The remains of the unicorn (London, British Library, MS Additional 142012, f. 138r).

My favorite April Fools joke of the day.

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

An iconic used book store in Evanston, Illinois which figured in the novel The Time Traveler's Wife is closing after 30 years.

Bookman's Alley | Chicago Tonight | WTTW

But the store will apparently still be open for a few more weeks if you are in the Chicago area and wish to pay a visit.
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

It's National Poetry Month in the US.

The New York Times describes various ways to celebrate.
    Ways to Celebrate National Poetry Month With The New York Times - NYTimes.com

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Cool idea by an elementary school to get more boys to read after their data showed that girls were using the library far more than boys.

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

^^^ I like this but I could never bring myself to cut apart books to make it.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    ^^^ I like this but I could never bring myself to cut apart books to make it.
    Save up enough books that you find which are unusable for whatever reason. I suspect you would include the Twilight novels in that category.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by optid View Post
    Save up enough books that you find which are unusable for whatever reason. I suspect you would include the Twilight novels in that category.
    Yeah but not sure I would want to walk on sparkly vampire books.

However, I did like The Hunger Games but I am also enjoying all the fun people are having with it like this:

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Yeah but not sure I would want to walk on sparkly vampire books.
    It's doubtful they would make you sparkle.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

My Diary
    ( 1 )

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

^^^ Made me laugh
    optid likes this.

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

I could make these. But I would want them to be way bigger/wider.

(Trip (Alex))
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Weird use of Bookshelf photographic wallpaper.

Page 27 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast