(Jen)

Default Getting another car's paint off your bumper...

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    So, it looks like I got hit in the parking lot at school today by a red car, because there are lines of red paint on the passenger side of my left bumper.

Some of it came off when I rubbed it with a wet paper towel, but there are still a few streaks. Anyone know an easy way to get them off without scratching my own paint?
    "He lay on his bed at night listening to the silver light of stars crashing against the window screen" -- Anne Carson

Words

• Advertising

Default Re: Getting another car's paint off your bumper...

One time i pulled too far up in our driveway and got some paint from the side of our garage on my car. First i tried a wet paper towel, that worked okay, then i got a scrubbing thingy (dont know what they're called) wet and that got most of it off, although it may scratch your car. Try washing the area where you were hit, that could help a little

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    So, it looks like I got hit in the parking lot at school today by a red car, because there are lines of red paint on the passenger side of my left bumper.

Some of it came off when I rubbed it with a wet paper towel, but there are still a few streaks. Anyone know an easy way to get them off without scratching my own paint?
    I have had experience with the problem that you had described, and I had used "rubbing compound" which is a very effective way of removing the scratch and other car's paint without damaging you own. Rubbing compound worked wonders on cars without damaging the paint/finish. Please visit the following link for more details:

The only down side to any chemical that you use to remove stains, scratches, or other imperfections is that it may dull that section of your car's finish. If possible, use some polish or wax on the section where you used the rubbing compound to restore the shine to that part of your vehicle.

Here is what you do:

Clean the surface. Get a towel, poor a small amount of acetone on it. Take of the red paint. RIGHT AFTEr wash the surface with water. Your paint wont come off because factory paint is applied while its hot, I forgot what the process is called. You can look it up online.
    Tried on 2 cars so far, works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx201 View Post
    One time i pulled too far up in our driveway and got some paint from the side of our garage on my car. First i tried a wet paper towel, that worked okay, then i got a scrubbing thingy (dont know what they're called) wet and that got most of it off, although it may scratch your car. Try washing the area where you were hit, that could help a little
    God, don't tell me you used a SCOTCH PAD on your car's finish!!!

A slow speed orbital buffer and some rubbing compound will clean the area up. You'll need to wax the area afterwards, since rubbing compound also strips the wax away.
    Wanna talk cars? Come visit the Auto Forum!

Tomorrow may never come. Life is not promised.-Auron

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called..."COWBOY BEBOP"

(Jen)

Quote Originally Posted by saabdriver View Post
    God, don't tell me you used a SCOTCH PAD on your car's finish!!!
    Haha this is exactly why I was asking, I weanted to avoid this sort of situations

Thanks guys, I will have to go check out the rubbing compound/wax deal. Man this is a lot of work for something I wasn't even present for
    "He lay on his bed at night listening to the silver light of stars crashing against the window screen" -- Anne Carson

Words

use acetone, you will take out all the paint from the other car in 10 seconds.

(Jason)

since rubbing and polishing compounds and even clearners can damage ur paint.. start with the least caustic solution and that can b just washing the bumper with some good car soap and rinsing then if that doesnt work then u can try some bug and tar remover.... if that doesnt work try some mild cleaning car wax.... it has some abrasives in it to clean ur paint.... if that doesnt do it then u can try to lightly use some compound u dont want to go the whole bumper just the area that has the red paint.. w/e u use when ur done b sure to wax the area too....... u can always take it to a dealer.. or a bosy shop and see if they can do it for u...or go to like wal-mart or w/e and look at some of the waxes and cleaners they have
    eStrong
    www.LAF.Org www.wearyellow.com

(())
    //\\

http://www.jdf.org/

(Zach)

Quote Originally Posted by wize View Post
    Here is what you do:

Clean the surface. Get a towel, poor a small amount of acetone on it. Take of the red paint. RIGHT AFTEr wash the surface with water. Your paint wont come off because factory paint is applied while its hot, I forgot what the process is called. You can look it up online.
    Tried on 2 cars so far, works perfectly.
    when i detailed cars at a local dealership here that is what we did and i did it on a LOT of vehicles, this is totally safe and will not hurt anything
    Silver 2001.5 Ram 2500 Cummins H.O. 6 spd. (ETH, DEE)

Turbo Silencer ring MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH Fuel system, Edge Comp Chip (120hp 350tq), Turbo Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyrometer (EGT) and Fuel Pressure gauges, LBDP Budget 5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ 6" Flo-Pro tip, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, 20% Tint, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air Intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob.

MUCH MORE TO COME
    !!!

(Andy)

This is what I do. Get Goo and rub it into the scratch. Then use a polisher. Works for me every time.
    volatile7: but she's not on the pill
    enderwiggin: Get out now! Out Out Out! Exit! Eject!

Thread Information