My Diary
    ( 1 )

Default Re: Storm and Tornado Season -- 2013

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    More storms moving in.

*turns on AM radio to hear the static from lightning*
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

• Advertising

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Many areas of extreme flooding and thunderstorms during the last 24 hours, especially in areas outside of Denver such as Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Aurora to name a few, who are experiencing record flooding on an epic scale. Areas of 8, 9, 10"+ of rain in these areas. Similar scenario in and around southern NH and north/NE Massachusetts where 6-8" of rain has fallen in areas such as Keene, Manchester to name a couple.

(Sorry I can't provide links/pictures, but I no longer have a laptop to use.)

(Casey)

Some interesting weather here in SE Washington state.

Drove to Moscow, ID (incidentally, a very beautiful drive when it's sunny out) today (Sunday), and coming back it was sunny, until about halfway home. There was a big dust cloud probably several miles across that we were approaching as we were driving south or south-west on the highway.

Eventually, we came into it, and it was very, very dark (this was only around 6:30pm Pacific Daylight Time, so normally, it would be quite bright out). And the winds were strong, blowing a lot of tumbleweed and newspapers across the highway, and driving behind and past semi trucks whose trailers were weaving back and forth in the wind.

Some really cool photos
    taken by people and sent in to the Tri-City Herald, our local newspaper.

Below is a short video of some of this. The video does not show it well, but it was quite dark, and there was a *lot* of lightning (though mostly hidden behind the clouds - but it made it very bright at times, and purple - can see some flash around 0:26 in the video). If I had not been driving, I would probably have better video (my mom was taking video with my camcorder as I drove).

Last edited by html92; Sep-16-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Hello! My name is Casey (My Twitter account, my YouTube) and I live on the dry side of Washington state (yes, Washington is not all green and wet!). I love local news and journalism, and other related things, but am going for a B.S. in Computer Science.

I am very shy and hate parties and big crowds. I am also really obsessed with The Price is Right, and I also enjoy Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, along with many PBS programs, like Downton Abbey and Nova.

Please remember: help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered!

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by html92 View Post
    Below is a short video of some of this. The video does not show it well, but it was quite dark, and there was a *lot* of lightning (though mostly hidden behind the clouds - but it made it very bright at times, and purple - can see some flash around 0:26 in the video). If I had not been driving, I would probably have better video (my mom was taking video with my camcorder as I drove).

Thanks! I'm always very happy when people post their own severe weather photos and vids here.

That is indeed very dark for an hour or so before sunset. And I'm presuming you were driving west, the direction of the sun at that hour.

Was there much thunder? I couldn't quite tell.

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Casey)

Yeah, roughly west or south west, so pretty much chasing the sun. We had been in the sun with blue skies less than half an hour before the video was taken, and you could see the big dust cloud from quite a distance.

And it was hard to tell about the thunder, as we were driving between 60 and 65 mph, but I presume there was a lot based on how bright the lightning that we saw was. When we actually made it back home (roughly sometime after 7:00pm), it was raining pretty heavily, with frequent (every ten seconds or so) lightning and thunder - very bright.

Apparently many small cities we had passed through (including Kahlotus, about an hour north of Pasco; Othello; and Connell) were without power sometime after we drove through them.

By the way, I LOVE this thread! I had always wanted to be a television meteorologist. And though I gave up on that a while back, I am still always interested in weather.

Just a little climate / weather profile of where I live in SE Washington for anyone interested, if that's alright: We live in a desert-like region (which all of Eastern Washington is because of the rain-shadow effect from the Cascade Mountains). We only get about six inches of precipitation per year (NOTHING like western Washington, like Seattle or the peninsula). It's always hot in the summer (average is supposedly about 80s, but usually we're over 90 degrees, and several 100 degree days per summer are not rare). Highs in the winter are generally in the 20s and 30s, with lows sometimes less than ten degrees. We generally don't get snow too often (and is only a couple of inches and melts usually within a week or so).
    Last edited by html92; Sep-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Hello! My name is Casey (My Twitter account, my YouTube) and I live on the dry side of Washington state (yes, Washington is not all green and wet!). I love local news and journalism, and other related things, but am going for a B.S. in Computer Science.

I am very shy and hate parties and big crowds. I am also really obsessed with The Price is Right, and I also enjoy Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, along with many PBS programs, like Downton Abbey and Nova.

Please remember: help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered!

My Diary
    ( 1 )

And it was hard to tell about the thunder, as we were driving between 60 and 65 mph, but I presume there was a lot based on how bright the lightning that we saw was. When we actually made it back home (roughly sometime after 7:00pm), it was raining pretty heavily, with frequent (every ten seconds or so) lightning and thunder - very bright.
    One of my favorite things to do on relatively long road trips when storms are predicted in the area is to listen to AM radio. Because of the type of modulation and because AM picks up signals from greater distances than FM you can hear static created by distant lightning before you see any storm clouds.

The only problem is to be able to lind a bearable AM station.
    In Illinois there is an NPR AM station at the University of Illinois which can be heard in much of the state during daylight hours. And Chicago has a commercial all news station which isn't too bad if you don't mind 15+ minutes of commercials every hour.

Sound travels about 1.055 miles in 5 seconds. So you can estimate the distance of lightning by counting the seconds between the time you see it and the time you hear thunder. Of course multiple lightning strikes can cause things to get complicated. And it's useful to keep in mind that the distance to the lightning involves height as well as ground mileage.

A long streak of lightning can also explain why thunder seems to rumble. The lightning bolt is multiple distances to you. So it will take varying lengths of time for the thunder to reach you.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Trip (Alex))
    No, you may not see my Member Trip's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

This shows a highway virtually destroyed by the storms and flooding in Colorado this weekend.

Slideshow: Hwy 34 destroyed through Big Thompson Canyon

There are 16 more photos at the link above.
    optid likes this.
    Atheism is to a religion as not collecting coins is to a hobby. Illustrators Need Love Too! | Game of Thrones Spoilers Thread | My Blog: Math, Science, History...

"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." - Randall Munroe, creator of xkcd.com.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    This shows a highway virtually destroyed by the storms and flooding in Colorado this weekend.

Slideshow: Hwy 34 destroyed through Big Thompson Canyon

There are 16 more photos at the link above.
    Wow. Reminds me of the damage to the highways in Vermont after Hurricane Irene. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan.
    Ryan: Gov is like when your grandparents see something on TV about the internet and they try to have a conversation with you about it, like "OOOOH, BILLY, ARE YOU ON THE HASHTAGS AND THE FACESPACE LIKE THE REST OF THESE YOUNGINS?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    I am strictly an atheist but I call my agnostic friends 'God curious' exactly the way I'd use bi-curious. They hate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Who the fuck died and made you editor of Vogue?

Come by and check out The Life Of A Bisexual Teen!

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Rather late in the season but there are still watches.

A severe thunderstorm watch for parts of southern North Dakota and northern South Dakota until 11:00 PM MDT/0500 GMT.

A nearby severe thunderstorm watch for southeastern North Dakota and west central Minnesota until 2:00 AM CDT/0700 GMT.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

A couple more watches in my native part of the US.

A severe thunderstorm watch until 8:00 PM CDT/0100 GMT for an area stretching from central Iowa ti northwestern Missouri.

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for an area from east central Wisconsin to SE Iowa. It's in effect until Midnight CDT/0500 GMT.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Lightning near the Sears Tower Wednesday night.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Even though we're looking at preliminary stats, this year has indeed been more quiet than usual for tornadoes in the US.

But as the people in Moore, OK can tell you, it takes just one tornado to ruin your day.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Casey)

Very unusual for us here in the Pacific Northwest: a considerable (for us) tornado that did some damage, and had maximum wind speeds of about 110 mph, just about 50 miles south of Seattle, Washington:
    Storm brings tornado to Pacific Northwest

Not something that I ever really thought happens even as often the article says (about one to two tornadoes a year in Washington). Usually any we see are very insignificant, and sometimes thought to be tornadoes, but never actually touch the ground (funnel clouds).
    optid likes this.

My Diary
    ( 1 )

Very unusual for us here in the Pacific Northwest: a considerable (for us) tornado that did some damage, and had maximum wind speeds of about 110 mph, just about 50 miles south of Seattle, Washington:
    Storm brings tornado to Pacific Northwest

Not something that I ever really thought happens even as often the article says (about one to two tornadoes a year in Washington). Usually any we see are very insignificant, and sometimes thought to be tornadoes, but never actually touch the ground (funnel clouds).
    That is indeed unusual. I had heard that the remnants of Typhoon Pabuk were going to strike the Northwest. When remnants of some tropical cyclone hit the Gulf or East Coast it usually means just a good bit of rain. So I just noted that forecast and didn't think much about it.

However Pabuk interacted with a system in the North Pacific and became an extra-tropical storm. That sounds somewhat similar to what happened to Sandy. So it hit the region with more power than such storms usually do.

It's not unusual for tropical cyclones to spawn tornadoes. Residents in Florida and in the Gulf states are familiar with those as well as with regular tornadoes spawned by continental weather systems. But this is the first time I ever heard of a tropical, post-tropical, or extra-tropical system causing tornadoes to develop in the Northwest. It may have caught a lot of people off guard.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

My Diary
    ( 1 )

It's both late in the day and late in the season for these. But there's a severe thunderstorm watch for much of Iowa and parts of Missouri and Nebraska. It's in effect until 5:00 AM CDT/1000 GMT.

--Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast