(Brian)

Default Longest straight road in the world?

*Ads Disappear After 100 Posts*
    Here's a challenge Where's the longest straight stretch of road in the world?

I've come up with two candidates:

Number one is Highway 46 in North Dakota, USA. It's apparently 123 miles in length and runs from Streeter to Hickson. However, a web page describing this road says: "Every "straight" road shifts a little bit here and there, bending just a bit around a rock or a tree or making an adjustment to cross a bridge. So does Hwy 46. But this road has a reputation, and it should be held to a higher standard. With this in mind, the best that offers -- its longest straight-as-an-arrow, lock your steering wheel and take a nap stretch -- extends nearly 31 miles, from Gackle to Beaver Creek. Compared to 123 miles that doesn't sound like much, but it's still impressive, especially for a two-lane blacktop."

My second candidate is the "90 Mile Straight" nearly 1,000km to the east of Perth on the Nullabor Plain, Australia. This road is 90 miles or 146km long and while it goes up or down a bit, following the contours of the land, it does so without any bend, kink or deviation.

So ... can anyone come up with any better answers?

• Advertising

The People's Administrator Jorge's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )
    Album
    Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Longest straight road in the world?

Curvy roads are so much better, though. Whilst in Mexico I don't think I was on any straight highway, haha.

I'm guessing most straight roads would be in non-hilly, desert-like areas. So I'll go with that Australian one; it just seems more possible to have a straight road in so much open space.
    Administrator
    Diary |
    FORWARD
    Have a complaint? We want to hear it.

Heres to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that's never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do.

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

Well, it certainly wouldn't be the Road of Death in Bolivia.

I once heard somebody say, possibly a teacher, that only the (Ancient) Romans and the Americans build straight roads.

Given the lack of hills in most of the Midwest, I'm not surprised by your nomination of ND Hwy 46. The only major body of water in that state would be the Missouri River. And the natural terrain there is prairie which can be treeless for long stretches. So road builders would have few obstructions to deal with.

Though not a road, I heard that Australia's Indian-Pacific Railway has a straight section that goes for 478 km (298 miles). All they have to do is build a road that runs parallel to that.
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Brian)

Quote Originally Posted by optid View Post
    Though not a road, I heard that Australia's Indian-Pacific Railway has a straight section that goes for 478 km (298 miles). All they have to do is build a road that runs parallel to that.
    Yep and the Trans-Australian Railway does in fact parallel the Eyre Highway for a lot of it's journey across the continent.

I think this view here on Google Maps is a section of the 90-mile straight. You can see the truck on the road. The other line just above I think is the railway although Google Maps doesn't have great resolution out there in the middle of nowhere

And while on the topic of outback roads - if you're ever on one, beware of the Road Train

The only thing worse than getting stuck behone one of these (apparently), is having one coming towards you I can't say I've had the pleasure - yet ...

For some strange reason, people seem to feel the need to create longer and longer road trains. Quoting Wikipedia:

World's longest road trains

In 1999 the town of Merredin, Western Australia made it into the Guinness Book of Records, when Marleys Transport made a successful attempt on the record for the world's longest road train. The record was created when 45 trailers, driven by Greg Marley, weighing 603 metric tons and measuring 610 metres were pulled by a Kenworth truck for 8 km.

In 2003, the record was surpassed near Mungindi, New South Wales, by a road train consisting of 87 trailers and a single prime mover (measuring 1235 metres in length).
    The next record was 1,442 metres, set by a driver in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia in a Kenworth owned by Doug Gould.

In 2006, a truck with 104 semi-trailers (at a length of 1,474.3 metres) claimed a new record at Clifton, Queensland.

(Jake)

What's the longest gay road?

The best spiritual friend is one that attacks your hidden faults - Atiśa Dipankara Shrijnana

(Leo)
    Wing Commander Member FlyingKiwi's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

I remember when I visited some towns in Western Australia some years ago, a lot of them have exceptionally wide main streets so that the road trains can turn around. Here in NZ I don't think there are any roads that go for more than a few kilometres without any deviation at all.
    Countries and Cultures Moderator

Visit the Anthropology & Geography diary - new faces always welcome!

Illinois Supreme Court Member optid's Avatar
    My Diary
    ( 1 )

I don't know about those road trains, especially those which carry oil products. When drivers for those are hired, preference must go to non-smokers.

And Jake, I don't know how long it is, but there is a Gay St. exit on a highway in Maryland.
    Illinois... Home of President Barack Obama

The Anthropology & Geography Diary

Freedom depends on ordinary people who are willing to fight for it, even when the dark side looks like an easier choice.
    --Clarence Page

Custom 10k face by Davo

(Mel)

Curvy roads are so much better, though. Whilst in Mexico I don't think I was on any straight highway, haha.
    I don't care for curvy roads very much...they make me car sick.
    "To thine ownself be true."
    -William Shakespeare

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"

(Phillip)

And Jake, I don't know how long it is, but there is a Gay St. exit on a highway in Maryland.
    Columbus has a Gay St, downtown. It is not far from both Goodale and Buttles. (The latter two intersect, by the way). [insert your own jokes here ]

I don't have a contender for longest straight road, but the widest highway is in toronto, I believe. Here's a nice google maps shot. It's 22 lanes wide in some points.

(Brady)

Highway 401 <333

Its apperently the busiest highway in north america/the world (both get tossed around) with something like 500 000 cars per day driving on it. Its a bitch to get stuck in traffic jams on.
    Officially fabulous, and practically perfect in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    your voice is both homosexual and ruggedly manly
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender View Post

Brady managed to make a thread about killing instruments into something completely fabulous. <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I can't wait to ride him

(Brian)

I don't know about those road trains, especially those which carry oil products. When drivers for those are hired, preference must go to non-smokers.

Well if we're playing that game, there's a Gay Street not too far from where I live. It's the home of three television studios - channels 7, 9 and 10 ...

(Brian)

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    ...but the widest highway is in toronto, I believe. Here's a nice google maps shot. It's 22 lanes wide in some points.
    OK there's no way I can beat a 22-lane road, but some of the roads in outback Australia have markings on them to be used as runways in an emergency (probably used by the Royal Flying Doctor Service.)